Search the forum,

Discuss Issue cutting tile with sigma max in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
:)
I have had some tiles that will not cut on a snap cutter, no matter what you do, years ago I was tiling a basement floor and was setting 8x8" (200mm) tiles.
The floor was over 600 square feet diagonal set, every single cut needed to be cut with a wet saw.
One thing you might try is to use less pressure to score and not ever score twice. The surface finish will also make a big difference, high gloss will cut better than rough (stone-slate) finish.
How long is that tile? You might need a bridge saw to cut them.
Hi. Thanks for replying to my thread. The tiles are only 600 x 300. Maybe my wheel is too low as some times when I just push the roller to score the tile breaks. Been hit and miss today with some nice cuts if scored a few times but also a lot of shearing.

hk940

Arms
Reaction score
As I have said before, there are some tiles that cannot be cut on a snap cutter, a wet diamond saw is the only way.
When I did my bathroom over in NJ USA I, I made sure I could make the cuts at the edge of the tiles. there was no way to make a square cut in the center of the tile, it would almost break the same way. and at $5.00 a tile I stopped after 5 tiles!
The cut around the light switch was a u cut with a piece!

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Reaction score

Hi. Thanks for replying to my thread. The tiles are only 600 x 300. Maybe my wheel is too low as some times when I just push the roller to score the tile breaks. Been hit and miss today with some nice cuts if scored a few times but also a lot of shearing.
Score lighter. Pressing on to hard can cause your issue. Then when you break the tile , hit the handle quickly. Shock breaking 👍

Reaction score
Been trying all things here. Even got the manual out which shows the bar around 3mm in the box from the top on the handle. Keeps breaking the tiles. The only times it actually works is when cutting a thin piece in half like 40mm. Having to cut all cuts with an angle grinder which is taking a loooooong time. Is there a place I could go and get this machine serviced? How often should the blade be replaced?

Thanks all.

Rodduz

-
Reaction score
Slow down as the score comes to the end to make sure it's scored nicely where it's coming off diagonally.

Where are you placing the breaker bar when you hit or press to snap?

hk940

Arms
Reaction score
See post 10 and 11, sometimes it is not the cutter, but the tile. Maybe you could take a piece to someone with a wet diamond saw and try a cut on it.
Some tiles seem to be very "stressed" if that is the word, and will not cut on a snap cutter no matter what you do.

Reaction score
Turns out it was the tiles. Got some feature wall tiles and they cut beautifully.

Thanks all for trying to help me on what was a lost cause.

On another note. I left my levelling clips in too long and some have broken leaving part in the grout line. Any idea on my options to get em out?

Thanks once again

Reply to Issue cutting tile with sigma max in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen