Discuss How to mount to fluted tiles? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

lukebp

-
Reaction score
We are partway through a big renovation and are about to have the bathrooms tiled. For the main bathroom we have purchased fluted tiles, but the tiler has flagged that he has concerns about mounting the tap/riser rail/mixer etc. to the fluted tiles as it may require a significant amount of silicon to fill where the flutes are, and therefore not look great. He feels it could also increase the risk of water ingress behind.

If anyone has advice about how to fix/mount to fluted tiles it would be hugely appreciated. He is meant to be starting work asap so we either need conviction it will work, or we need to order different tiles.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hi there, got any photos ? from what I gather from your post you mean textured 3D tiles that aren’t flat ?.

If I’m right they wouldn’t sell them or manufacture them if that was the case sounds like to me he doesn’t know what he’s on about I’ve used so many different tiles in my career and never heard of that excuse before.

A good tiler can fit any tile sounds like you just need a good mastic man to seal the bathroom after it’s tiled.

A good tiler shouldn’t have the customer asking advice on a tile forum cause he will know what can and can’t be done and you should have faith in his knowledge.

lukebp

-
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I've attached a couple of pictures of the tiles - and yes you're correct, they're 3D tiles that aren't flat.

Any advice/suggestions on how to fix and seal these to achieve a finish that looks good and is watertight/durable would be hugely appreciated.

I called the retailer that sold them to me earlier, but I'm not convinced the person I spoke to knew too much about tiling and they weren't able to offer any advice.

Thanks again

formatos-praia.jpg
PXL_20230624_121927906~2.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I've attached a couple of pictures of the tiles - and yes you're correct, they're 3D tiles that aren't flat.

Any advice/suggestions on how to fix and seal these to achieve a finish that looks good and is watertight/durable would be hugely appreciated.

I called the retailer that sold them to me earlier, but I'm not convinced the person I spoke to knew too much about tiling and they weren't able to offer any advice.

Thanks again

View attachment 127730 View attachment 127732
You can buy a pre sealer from tops tile that washes off when you grout I had to do the same thing the other day as the feature tile had a lot of crevices, if the tiles are glazed there shouldn’t be any problems if they are rough to touch a pre sealant will probably be your best bet, only natural stones need to be sealed as they are highly porous.

Fitting wise it’s better to tile that wall last as cutting into them will leave a gap in the corners, fitting them after if cut tight to the other walls won’t give you a gap down the edges.

With any tile like those you will have jagged mastic in the corners, try colour match so it’s less noticeable

Hope I’ve helped good luck !

Reaction score
This stuff is water based so will wash off when grouting if there is any grout residue left on the surface it sticks to the temporary sealer rather than the tile, your tiles look glazed personally I wouldn’t have a problem just grouting it but this stuff does help with washing off.

Reply to How to mount to fluted tiles? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks