Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss How to install a shelf in a shower niche? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve had a niche built in my shower (photo on left) I’d like a shelf inserted in the middle (similar to the top right photo) and I’m wondering the best way to do this. My plan is for the sides of the niche to be tiled in the same ceramic tiles as the shower and the back of the niche to be tiled in glass scallop mosaic tiles (lower right photo). I’ve been told it will be tricky to cut a slot into the mosaics to insert the shelf, due to their scallop shape. I’ve read that when you drill in shelf screw anchors the holes breach the waterproof membrane, which even if sealed I’d rather avoid. As the niche hasn’t been tiled yet I’m wondering if the shelf (27cmx11cm) could be embedded into the mortar and grout? Would embedding into the two side tiles be strong enough without embedding into the back mosaics? All advice welcome! Many thanks

Attachments

• 23AA8CDE-1814-40AA-BD0E-3670125D90F4.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 23

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve had a niche built in my shower (photo on left) I’d like a shelf inserted in the middle (similar to the top right photo) and I’m wondering the best way to do this. My plan is for the sides of the niche to be tiled in the same ceramic tiles as the shower and the back of the niche to be tiled in glass scallop mosaic tiles (lower right photo). I’ve been told it will be tricky to cut a slot into the mosaics to insert the shelf, due to their scallop shape. I’ve read that when you drill in shelf screw anchors the holes breach the waterproof membrane, which even if sealed I’d rather avoid. As the niche hasn’t been tiled yet I’m wondering if the shelf (27cmx11cm) could be embedded into the mortar and grout? Would embedding into the two side tiles be strong enough without embedding into the back mosaics? All advice welcome! Many thanks
I would imagine silicone would hold them in. Create a stand to sit the shelf at the right height then silicone in clear colour around edges top and under side. Place another stand on top of that shelf, adjust to correct height you want second shelf and repeat. Next day remove the stands. You'd want a strong bead of silicone underneath and maybe buy a silicone tool. Practise first. Hope that sounds helps.

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would imagine silicone would hold them in. Create a stand to sit the shelf at the right height then silicone in clear colour around edges top and under side. Place another stand on top of that shelf, adjust to correct height you want second shelf and repeat. Next day remove the stands. You'd want a strong bead of silicone underneath and maybe buy a silicone tool. Practise first. Hope that sounds helps.
Don't forget to angle them forward slightly also to make the water run off.

Reply to How to install a shelf in a shower niche? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks