Search the forum,

Discuss How to install a shelf in a shower niche? in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve had a niche built in my shower (photo on left) I’d like a shelf inserted in the middle (similar to the top right photo) and I’m wondering the best way to do this. My plan is for the sides of the niche to be tiled in the same ceramic tiles as the shower and the back of the niche to be tiled in glass scallop mosaic tiles (lower right photo). I’ve been told it will be tricky to cut a slot into the mosaics to insert the shelf, due to their scallop shape. I’ve read that when you drill in shelf screw anchors the holes breach the waterproof membrane, which even if sealed I’d rather avoid. As the niche hasn’t been tiled yet I’m wondering if the shelf (27cmx11cm) could be embedded into the mortar and grout? Would embedding into the two side tiles be strong enough without embedding into the back mosaics? All advice welcome! Many thanks

Attachments

• 23AA8CDE-1814-40AA-BD0E-3670125D90F4.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 27

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve had a niche built in my shower (photo on left) I’d like a shelf inserted in the middle (similar to the top right photo) and I’m wondering the best way to do this. My plan is for the sides of the niche to be tiled in the same ceramic tiles as the shower and the back of the niche to be tiled in glass scallop mosaic tiles (lower right photo). I’ve been told it will be tricky to cut a slot into the mosaics to insert the shelf, due to their scallop shape. I’ve read that when you drill in shelf screw anchors the holes breach the waterproof membrane, which even if sealed I’d rather avoid. As the niche hasn’t been tiled yet I’m wondering if the shelf (27cmx11cm) could be embedded into the mortar and grout? Would embedding into the two side tiles be strong enough without embedding into the back mosaics? All advice welcome! Many thanks
I would imagine silicone would hold them in. Create a stand to sit the shelf at the right height then silicone in clear colour around edges top and under side. Place another stand on top of that shelf, adjust to correct height you want second shelf and repeat. Next day remove the stands. You'd want a strong bead of silicone underneath and maybe buy a silicone tool. Practise first. Hope that sounds helps.

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would imagine silicone would hold them in. Create a stand to sit the shelf at the right height then silicone in clear colour around edges top and under side. Place another stand on top of that shelf, adjust to correct height you want second shelf and repeat. Next day remove the stands. You'd want a strong bead of silicone underneath and maybe buy a silicone tool. Practise first. Hope that sounds helps.
Don't forget to angle them forward slightly also to make the water run off.

Reply to How to install a shelf in a shower niche? in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen