Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss How to fix pin holes in grout in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. Beefy

Beefy Active Member

Hi all, I have just grouted around the bather/shower and as it was drying lots of v channels/pin holes started appearing. I quickly went over again using my finger to fill these in but my fear is that the surface will not be water tight. I used a decent brand ready made grout and hear this is a common problem and now wish I'd mixed my own! My question is what is the best way of sorting this? Do i need to rake it all out and start again?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by Plan Tec Tiling, Nov 16, 2017
  3. Tom Astley

Tom Astley Professional Tiler

mix the grout stiffer and leave it longer before you wash it off. Then 'peg' the grout joints to ensure a smooth, full finish.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Best Answer
    OP used ready mixed grout

The ready mixed grout is your problem. It's not the holes that would be worrying me so much, it's the porosity and poor quality of the grout that would cause issues. My advice would be to rake it out if any of it is regularly exposed to shower spray and replace with a cement grout.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pjc

pjc Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

This is why the professionals never use it. It is almost impossible for a DIY to use. And does a very poor job IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Beefy

Beefy Active Member

Thanks all, I feared that would be the case! thought using a good brand ready mix would save time, you live and learn I guess! If it does need raking out is there a tool that will make the job easier? I have a vitrex grout out from a previous diy job that was ok but probably not so good for a large area, can anybody recommend a multitool blade or similar that will make the job easier? The problem is I have used 2mm tile spacers and most grout raking blades seem to be 2-3mm+, any suggestions would be welcome!

7. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Will it be exposed to shower spray regularly?

8. Beefy

Beefy Active Member

9. Plan Tec Tiling

Ok, in that case then I would advise you rake it out. Most ready mixed grout is so soft that it can easily be raked out by hand using a grout rake/ remover

• Like Like x 1
  10. Beefy

Beefy Active Member

Ok great, I will try and tackle it with a grout rake, thanks again for your advise

• Like Like x 2
  11. Plan Tec Tiling

36471.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sean Kelly

Sean Kelly Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

Try using a Stanley knife first. Less chance of damaging your tiles.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Beefy

Beefy Active Member

Thanks all I have a Stanley knife, grout rake, and oscillating tool which I will use in that order depending on how hard the grout is! Can you guys recommend a good powdered grout to use? Baring in mind I am a diyer so not as speedy as you pros!

14. LEE MAC

LEE MAC Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

• Like Like x 1
  15. Andrew Anaxagoras

Andrew Anaxagoras Active Member

Bal supa flex.... mapei sucks (literally)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Beefy

Beefy Active Member

Thanks all, ended up using a multitool and diamond blade to get the majority of the grout out then Stanley knife and grout take for touching up the hard to reach areas. Then used a bal grout to regrout and its come out looking great really pleased with the result. Thanks to all for the tips and advise

• Winner Winner x 1