Discuss How to fix pin holes in grout in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

B

Beefy

Hi all, I have just grouted around the bather/shower and as it was drying lots of v channels/pin holes started appearing. I quickly went over again using my finger to fill these in but my fear is that the surface will not be water tight. I used a decent brand ready made grout and hear this is a common problem and now wish I'd mixed my own! My question is what is the best way of sorting this? Do i need to rake it all out and start again?

OP
B

Bill

mix the grout stiffer and leave it longer before you wash it off. Then 'peg' the grout joints to ensure a smooth, full finish.

OP
Q

Qwerty

mix the grout stiffer and leave it longer before you wash it off. Then 'peg' the grout joints to ensure a smooth, full finish.

OP used ready mixed grout

The ready mixed grout is your problem. It's not the holes that would be worrying me so much, it's the porosity and poor quality of the grout that would cause issues. My advice would be to rake it out if any of it is regularly exposed to shower spray and replace with a cement grout.

OP
B

Beefy

Thanks all, I feared that would be the case! thought using a good brand ready mix would save time, you live and learn I guess! If it does need raking out is there a tool that will make the job easier? I have a vitrex grout out from a previous diy job that was ok but probably not so good for a large area, can anybody recommend a multitool blade or similar that will make the job easier? The problem is I have used 2mm tile spacers and most grout raking blades seem to be 2-3mm+, any suggestions would be welcome!

OP
Q

Qwerty

36471.jpg

OP
B

Beefy

Thanks all I have a Stanley knife, grout rake, and oscillating tool which I will use in that order depending on how hard the grout is! Can you guys recommend a good powdered grout to use? Baring in mind I am a diyer so not as speedy as you pros!

OP
B

Beefy

Thanks all, ended up using a multitool and diamond blade to get the majority of the grout out then Stanley knife and grout take for touching up the hard to reach areas. Then used a bal grout to regrout and its come out looking great really pleased with the result. Thanks to all for the tips and advise

Reply to How to fix pin holes in grout in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer