Discuss How to fill gaps in shower tiles? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I have recently fitted a new riser rail in the shower, and this has left me with a couple of gaps in the tiles where the brackets for the old riser rail were, and I’d be very grateful if you could tell me what I need to do to fill them. Is grouting sufficient? Will I need to tank the plasterboard behind them, or would grout be enough on its own (and is epoxy grout a better choice than ordinary bathroom tiling grout)? How would you go about it? The gaps are 2.5” x 1”.

These gaps aren’t in a place where they are hit directly by water, but they might get the occasional splash, and they will get plenty of steam on them from hot showers.

I don’t need them to look pretty (I don’t want to retile the wall for the sake of a couple of little gaps in a space where they won’t be noticed), but I do want the wall to be watertight, and I’d rather spend a bit more time and money doing the job properly now, rather than have the ceiling of the room below cave in in a few years’ time!

I also replaced the soap dish, which has left a couple of screw holes in the grouting where the old soap dish was. Will a dab of grouting be enough to take care of these, or do I need to do something else to seal them up properly? Again, they are not directly hit by water, but I don’t want to take any chances with them.

For the time being, I have left the old riser rail brackets and the soap dish screws in the wall, to protect the wall behind.

Could you please tell me what you would recommend? Many thanks!

DSCF1874.jpg
DSCF1861.jpg
DSCF1871.jpg

Reaction score
Any other suggestions? Will tanking + grouting do the job, or would grouting on its own be enough? And what do you think is the best way of dealing with the screw holes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

S

Spare Tool

If your not bothered what it looks like buy a similar or white single tile cut it down and stick it in the gap and seal round with silicone, silicone in the holes too..

Reaction score
Seriously - repair the tiles even with plain white!

If your not bothered what it looks like buy a similar or white single tile cut it down and stick it in the gap and seal round with silicone, silicone in the holes too..

After reading Timeless John's reply above, that's basically what I've done. I've found a cream tile which is a close match and have ordered a Dremel tile-cutting disc. I'll tank the plasterboard and cut a couple of bits to fill the gaps.

Thanks for the advice about the screw holes too!

Many thanks for your help, everyone! :thumbsup:

W

WetSaw

Tanking? Really? I bet my left testicle that the rest of it isn't tanked. What do you think you're going to gain by tanking a 2" square?

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would definatly tank it, belt and braces and all that. :tearsofjoy:

Reply to How to fill gaps in shower tiles? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks