Search the forum,

Discuss How much should this job have cost? (labour only) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The D

i think that is a bit harsh the op was looking for an honest estimate to compare against the extortionate rate being charged the facts are irreverent £400.00 per m2 is extortion even if the tile was solid gold you would not charge that.

S

Stef

i think that is a bit harsh the op was looking for an honest estimate to compare against the extortionate rate being charged the facts are irreverent £400.00 per m2 is extortion even if the tile was solid gold you would not charge that.

Oh I think it is an obscene amount of money but there wasn't a price discussed so it's a catch 22.
I've been caught out before & you have to take it on the chin.

T

The D

not if you have not paid yet i would tell him to sling his hook but yes i agree a price should have been agreed first but that doesn't give them the right to just rip someone off.

S

Stef

not if you have not paid yet i would tell him to sling his hook but yes i agree a price should have been agreed first but that doesn't give them the right to just rip someone off.

The op has stated that they told her that there was over 15.5hrs in this job so on that if you break it down it's not so expensive.
Even if it is just 1m2 we don't know enough about prep or what else the job involved.
I wish we all could get that kind of price for jobs, work half an hour per day & home..

T

TJ Smiler

As Deano says it's not right for anyone to rip someone off and 400 quid for 1m2 sounds ridiculous, but we also don't know the full facts and have no idea of the prep involved or anything about the situation. So many times i have agreed with a customer that a job will take x amount of days and be x price based on the discussion i have had with them IE: if skirts are removed, carpet removed, area cleared etc etc only to turn up and find out that they have not kept there end of the bargain and have then had to spend several hours doing it myself before i can even get on with what it was i priced to do, it's a rarity i charge for this but it is something i find a complete liberty on the customers front.

I did a 4 m2 kitchen in metro's earlier on this month and it took me...... First day 8am until 6pm, second day 8am until 8:30 pm (22 hours) cos the job was not as the customer said it was. I didn't charge any extra for the extra work i done as i knew it would create a bad feeling but at the end of the day the customer had a lovely job that involved a ton of work at a good price £250 and i walked away knackered, peed off and feeling like i had been taken for ride (obviously there was more to this job than you are hearing, i had mentioned the extra work to customer but i could tell it would just undo all the good work i had done if i then charged more).

And each post that op is leaving more facts are coming out so it might be a case of them not being straight with the plumber in the first place and the plumber charging 2 days rate plus materials...... Who knows. Like i say if i could get 400 quid for a day on my jobs i would charge it and lose no sleep about it.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Moral of the story. ......NEVER have any work done without greeing to a written quotation.

And NEVER start working for someone without agreeing to a written quotation. ..

You have left yourself open to all kinds of financial abuse, and im afraid to say you have only yourself to blame..

mma

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If your car/van was in a garage getting repaired for 15 hours what would it cost? If your boiler had to be repaired for 15 hours what would it cost? My girlfriend gets her hair done £100 for x2 hours. Tiling is a underpaid job and it gets right on my nerves!!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
£400psm in plain terms, sounds expensive.
£400 for 2 days labour however is far from expensive.

If the walls were straight/flat then why did it take 15 hours?

Personally on jobs like this (small splashbacks) i always put a minimum charge which equates to about 1.75 days. Still would make my bill less than your plumbers though.
Has to be a reason why 1.11sqm takes 2 days. Prep, repair, downtime?

Live and learn though. If you dont at least gwt an idea of price out of them youre effectively handing over a blank cheque.

B

brum

Hi there,
I am new to this site so - apols if I have posted this in the wrong place.
I had some tiling done in a kitchen of a rented flat, the walls are straight but the property is old. I have tried up loading a photo of the job, but so far have failed miserably. Please advise how much is should have cost for labour only 111 x 4 inch tiles? My working out is that this is just over 1 sq metre (1.11 to be exact). There are a few cuts (4) for plug sockets. The Plumber did the tiling and although the workmanship is okay, his price (labour only) was not. It works out at nearly £4 per tile ( boring, but glossy tiles).
I will continue to upload a photo, but on about 7th attempt!
All advice gratefully received.
Mrs Phillips

Hi mrs Phillips have you not also got a thread on plumbers forum slating a plumber for overcharging,
Come on now do you think were all a bunch of numpties.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

Hi mrs Phillips have you not also got a thread on plumbers forum slating a plumber for overcharging,
Come on now do you think were all a bunch of numpties.

Not sure why you'd think it out of order!
The more responses the better for this ladies depth of knowledge.

Reply to How much should this job have cost? (labour only) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen