Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss How much should this job have cost? (labour only) in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Phillips wife

Hi there,
I am new to this site so - apols if I have posted this in the wrong place.
I had some tiling done in a kitchen of a rented flat, the walls are straight but the property is old. I have tried up loading a photo of the job, but so far have failed miserably. Please advise how much is should have cost for labour only 111 x 4 inch tiles? My working out is that this is just over 1 sq metre (1.11 to be exact). There are a few cuts (4) for plug sockets. The Plumber did the tiling and although the workmanship is okay, his price (labour only) was not. It works out at nearly £4 per tile ( boring, but glossy tiles).
I will continue to upload a photo, but on about 7th attempt!
All advice gratefully received.
Mrs Phillips

D

Deleted member 9966

Mrs Phillips
Unfortunately we don't allow discussions about pricing in the open forums, so our members won't be able to put any prices/quotes/estimations up in this thread. What I would suggest is that if any of our members would like to chat with you directly about the price you were charged for your work, they can make contact with you via the private message service.

To upload photo's, please keep them reasonably small (less than 1MB in size is helpful) and use the Go Advanced option when replying, as this will take you to the advanced functions including uploading photographs from your computer. Please do let us know if you continue to have problems uploading your photo's.

GRR

T

The D

that is a lot of money how long did it take him and why did you not get a price before the job was done so you could get some other quotes to compare

O

One Day

If the job is as straightforward as it sounds then I would only charge a single day rate + materials.
No more than half what you have quoted.

D

dave l and l

did you get a price before job started..if you agreed a price before then thats what it is,

T

Time's Ran Out

£444 per metre from a plumber!
It's a shame these bandits are around but you should have done your homework first!
The actual tiling is no more than 2 hours work so with travelling and overheads say half a day.

P

Phillips wife

Hi there,
I had some tiling done in a kitchen of a rented flat, the walls are straight but the property is old. I have tried up loading a photo of the job, but so far have failed miserably. Please advise how much is should have cost for labour only 111 x 4 inch tiles? My working out is that this is just over 1 sq metre (1.11 to be exact). There are a few cuts (4) for plug sockets. The Plumber did the tiling and although the workmanship is okay, his price (labour only) was not. It works out at nearly £4 per tile ( boring, but glossy tiles).
Mrs Phillips

thank you everyone for your comments. Unfortunately I did not get a quote as his brother was " project manager" and he appointed him. His bill was for £420 ! Said it took him over 15.5 hours!

D

dave l and l

thats a very long time to do 1 metre of tiling, is the bill only for tiling or is the plumbing work included
also have you paid him. it seems excessive for a 1m2 job

T

Time's Ran Out

Strong words with the 'project manager' and tell him you have made an appointment with the Citizens Advice Bureau to discuss your intended action to recoup this excessive charge!

P

prceramics

should of been 1x day rate plus mattiriels tops if you havn't paid dont if it took him longer its his lookout, why would you let work to comence without price first ?

P

Phillips wife

Hi there,
Mrs Phillips

Thank you, this is been one of those jobs. The plumber has viewed me as a cashpoint and I have paid him just over half and he is taking me to court for the rest. This was labour only and just for the tiling, the plumbing is another saga, just been ripped off by him and his brother.

Reply to How much should this job have cost? (labour only) in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks