Discuss How can i improve my preparation in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

Waluigi

All foam boards are waterproof.

The likes of Hardiebacker, Aquapanel and the new Bal board, it seems aren’t waterproof.

ETAG 022 Part 1 says that all new builds must have waterproof boards in showers, or tanked. The Bal board is pointless IMHO. Develop a decent waterproof board instead, please

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The inner core of boards such as Wedi are waterproof i believe,
but the face is coated with cement which is not.
As this is the surface that the tiles are stuck to it can degenerate.

W

Waluigi

Can it?

I’ve never seen it.

You’ve got Orbrey, Wedi, Dukkaboard, Jackoboard, Marmox, all in the form of wet room formers that don’t require tanking on the face of the board.

All are considered ‘waterproof’

O

Old Mod

Kerdi board is the only board that is water proof in the core and on the face
I’d be a little cautious with that statement Andy. The membrane covering is definitely waterproof.
The core however, I’m not sure about.
There was a debate recently over this very subject. There were images of kerdi Board soaking up water thro capillary action, it was very clear to see.
I think from memory, please don’t quote, because I’m only 70% sure, but I think the core is the same as cement boards as in it is uneffected by moisture.
Don’t start splitting hairs. I’m just using loose general terms.
Im sorry but I can not remember schluters response on the subject.
I’ll dig some more, see what I can find out.

W

Waluigi

The point I was originally trying to make was that the foam boards as a whole are waterproof. The other boards I mentioned are not.

Whether some sections of the boards aren’t waterproof is irrelevant to me because the board as a whole is waterproof.

I still think a new type of board is needed. Something that is 900mm Wide would be a start.

O

Old Mod

I asked the question to a colleague, and this was a conversation he had with a Schluter rep earlier this evening.

My colleague asked.,,,,
59513436-EBFD-4729-82E1-7B94BCB65485.jpeg

Schluter Rep .......
F0F85EA9-B537-42FA-8812-7568760EB981.jpeg

W

Waluigi

Im wondering if Schluter have their board in one of those sealed liquid vessels that HB have to prove it doesn’t break down. The same goes for the foam boards.

I’d imagine that in reality it doesn’t really matter when used on walls as they are unlikely to get that wet.

It’s intersting to hear that the foam boards cement coating will break down. I’m going to leave a piece of Orbrey in a tray of water to see what happens and shall report back.

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Im wondering if Schluter have their board in one of those sealed liquid vessels that HB have to prove it doesn’t break down. The same goes for the foam boards.

I’d imagine that in reality it doesn’t really matter when used on walls as they are unlikely to get that wet.

It’s intersting to hear that the foam boards cement coating will break down. I’m going to leave a piece of Orbrey in a tray of water to see what happens and shall report back.
What i said was the cement coating CAN degrade

Reply to How can i improve my preparation in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks