Search the forum,

Discuss Help choosing tile cutter in the Tiling Tools > Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com.

C

Cat

Need to cut 10mm hexagonal porcelain tiles. We have tried using a normal dry cutter on them but couldnt get a clean straight cut.

We then tried wet cutting on our Vitrex Pro 900 but it isnt accurate enough as there is movement along the guide rail which causes the cuts to be between 1 - 5mm out of line

We need a tile cutter that is highly accurate. Ideally a bridge saw as the cuts are all on angles and cant use a fence due to the tile shape. Will also need to be able to handle very slim cuts and L shape cuts

The main problem we had with ours is that we would mark the tile perfectly and then as we pulled the cutter the whole cutter headwould move slightly so the begining of the cut is bang on but the end is out by up to 5mm

Budget is £500ish but happy to spend more if its worth it

Help! Thanks

B

Bill

I take it from your other posts that you are not a tiler?

This is a highly skilled part of the job and no matter what rail saw I suggest, if your technique is not up to the job then the cutter will not help.

Sorry for being blunt but that is what I think.

C

Cat

I would much rather you were blunt.

My partner is a builder and im an engineer by trade, we rennovate houses and have done plenty of tiling with conventional square / rectangular tiles no problems at all. Now its my house I want perfection and that means a more accurate cutter.

I have put a post on here to find a tiler as all our local ones, that have been to look at it wont take the job on. If I cant find someone we will have to do it ourselves

B

Bill

I saw the post, that is why I commented like I did.

Engineer/builder .... but not a tiler.... see the difference.

I am not knocking you for trying but some of your earlier posts were slightly suggesting you were tilers, maybe that was my interpretation.

Well, as far as getting a tiler in to do your 'needs must be perfect' bathroom, then I would recommend that you do not baulk at a higher end pricing structure quote, i.e. pay for some travel too and try and accommodate or hotel the tiler at least so that you have the choice of superb tilers. January is/can be a lean month but by the same token, true pro's do not need to do any job that comes along.

Unfortunately, I am too busy to even give a quote but if you do try and tender for a high-end pro, then do your due diligence, ask for refs, see job photos etc, and help the gifted tiler out as much as you can.

C

Cat

I saw the post, that is why I commented like I did.

Engineer/builder .... but not a tiler.... see the difference.

I am not knocking you for trying but some of your earlier posts were slightly suggesting you were tilers, maybe that was my interpretation.

Well, as far as getting a tiler in to do your 'needs must be perfect' bathroom, then I would recommend that you do not baulk at a higher end pricing structure quote, i.e. pay for some travel too and try and accommodate or hotel the tiler at least so that you have the choice of superb tilers. January is/can be a lean month but by the same token, true pro's do not need to do any job that comes along.

Unfortunately, I am too busy to even give a quote but if you do try and tender for a high-end pro, then do your due diligence, ask for refs, see job photos etc, and help the gifted tiler out as much as you can.

I appreciate what your saying but I need the tiler who will do the job first. If I cant get one then we will do it ourselves. One of our problems I think is where we live.

Everyone has to start somewhere, All I want is some advice on the best tile cutter for the job so if we have to we have the best start

Reply to Help choosing tile cutter in the Tiling Tools > Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen