Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Having fun with Florim Magnum slabs in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

They must realise you can’t exactly put them in the broom cupboard out of the way!
You know what it's like tho Ian, sometimes a main contractor will put his foot down, especially when they feel it's not their fault.
Take that wall that was being stripped back today, all we asked was that it was removed, and we had agreed with the tiling contractor to put it back ourselves because we knew we'd do a better job of replacing it. It's no drama, it's only two full sheets, granted there's a few cutouts, but at least we'd have it flat.
Before you know it, the main contractor has pulled in the boss of the drylining and plastering company Making him rectify it. So he came back on site with the hump assuming we were sticking the knife in.
It wasn't like that at all, we didn't start throwing our weight around or getting angry shouting and screaming. We just wanted to sort it out, and we were prepared to do it.
It took me 20mins to make the plastering contractor understand why we had condemned it. After that he was happy as Larry, kinda! Haha well he didn't have the hump anymore.

O

One Day

I get the same thing Marc which is why 99% of the time I insist from the beginning that I prep things.
I can't believe how hard it can be trying to justify why we need plumb walls and flat floors - especially on large format.
Sometimes I feel like setting up a company just to do the prep for decent tilers.

O

Old Mod

Sometimes I feel like setting up a company just to do the prep for decent tilers.

Wouldn't you do mine then Mark? :(

Tbf, none of the people that I have met over the last 48hrs have ever seen anything like this before, not even the tiling contractors themselves, and they are 4th generation.
Openly admitted it, had nothing to hide, were in trouble and said they needed help.
So everyone on site had to be educated to a certain degree, and they've all calmed down and are doing what they can to help.
The tiling contractor has some 40 guys, it's a serious outfit, but by his own admission, predominantly a contracting company.
One of the owners spent a lot of time with me today trying to get a handle on the product, and being someone who understands the industry well, picked everything up very quickly and was more than happy for me to dictate what had to happen. No short cuts, no can you not just dab it out a bit, whatever I wanted. So it's taken the pressure off me, and I can go about my business with a focused mind.
Well apart from the fact that I'm sposed to be somewhere else Monday :( not a chance now.
Should of seen his face when I told him I was meant to be somewhere else, he honestly thought come tomorrow I was off! Haha

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You're doing a cracking job, and once they understand why you need flat plumb walls the penny finally drops. A bit different to painting a skimmed wall which is what a lot of them do. As long as it's smooth it doesn't matter.

T

Tile Shop

Where as most have asked for a video on how to cut them, you wanna see a video in the hope that you see me fail! Hmmmmm!
What odds you giving Paul? :D

Don't want to see you fail. That'd be rotten. No, just wanna giggle at you struggling :)

L

LM

I get the same thing Marc which is why 99% of the time I insist from the beginning that I prep things.
I can't believe how hard it can be trying to justify why we need plumb walls and flat floors - especially on large format.
I've thought about doing exactly the same thing Mark.

W

WetSaw

When you've finished getting them up the stairs you can give Andy a call and get the name of his surgeon!

Reply to Having fun with Florim Magnum slabs in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks