Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Have I made a mistake - Dunlop addy! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Dean A

I ordered 3 20kg tubs of Dunlop 2 part rapid flex addy for tiling travertine in my small bathroom before joining this forum, now after reading several posts on it - I am regretting ordering the stuff!

I have also got a load of their flexi grout on order too :oops:

Question is, is it really that bad, and if so, should I cancel and do the whole lot in single part BAL flexible addy (floor and walls) or do I need to use both 1 and 2 parts addy's, depending on application?

I am confused to say the least!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

dean, certainly wouldn't use a tubbed addy with trav. Use a spf (single part flexible) adhesive, can you give us some more info on your walls and floor substrate please so we can further advise?
Cheers for now
Doug

O

oldgit

it says 2 part flex thats good enough for anywhere,over the top in some situations.

D

Dean A

dean, certainly wouldn't use a tubbed addy with trav. Use a spf (single part flexible) adhesive, can you give us some more info on your walls and floor substrate please so we can further advise?
Cheers for now
Doug

Doug,

Its a 2 part addy, not tubbed as far as I am aware? Does this make a difference?

2 walls will be hardibacker boards (will prime first with F-Ball primer) and 2 walls are stone (I will get a picture up tomorrow).

Floor:

18mm WBP - 6mm thermal board, underfloor heating, DITRA - travertine...

I look forward to you advice.

Thanks

Dean

O

oldgit

as u are using ditra sp flex will be ok on the floor as well,but 2 pt on the walls and the floor will be better but not really needed.

D

Dean A

I seem to have caused quite an argument here? Not my intention at all!

Sorry this is all quite new to me, so apologies if the word tub conflicted with the 2 part bit.

LINKY

The link above shows the product in a tub, which I assumed was the powder, and the liquid would come seperately. After doing a little more digging around it seems I am right LINKY ?

Although the price on Mandarin (£23+ vat) seems very cheap for a 2 part addy!

If it is definately 2 part addy, will I be safe to lay this down on the floors and for laying the thermal board and Ditra matting and tiles?

F

Fekin

It's just a simple misunderstanding.

Most, if not all pro's on here would always say "tubbed" for ready mixed adhesive, and bagged for cement based.
Then what happens is you get someone come along who isn't a pro, and they throw in some term that dosen't actully fit with what they have said, though they don't know they have done so.

Hence, why you can sometimes get confusion over nothing.

Now in this case, DEAN A said...

20kg tubs of Dunlop 2 part rapid flex addy

which basically says "tubbed" & "2 part" in the same line, only because Dunlop seem to package it this way, and Im guessing not many on here use Dunlop, so they ain't aware they use tubs instead of bags, and it's easy to see that someone may sometimes use a term like tubbed 2 part, when they actually just mean ready mixed tubbed.

So what DEAN A said is correct then if that's how Dunlop package things, just nothers didn't know.

wow :huh2:

D

Dean A

Cheers guys - yes a simple misunderstanding on my part

Now we have cleared that up, can anyone clarify if I am OK to use 2 part addy on both the floors under the thermal backing board, under the UFG and under the DITRA.

Should I stick to 1 part addy for the walls, as I understand 2 part is overkill?

My initial question was actually asking if Dunlop was a bad choice, but I didn’t expect to get it so wrong!

O

Olz

Right then,

Now we have clarified the confusion regarding terminology, this gear is dunlop 2 part flexi and is packaged in a big tub, which contains a bag of addy and a bottle of flexi addative.

Back on track please,

The 2 part is fine for the floor, its a bit over the top for the walls, a normal spf will be more that adequate for the walls, and hardi wont need priming although its handy to give it a wipe over with a damp cloth to remove any dust.

Dunlop addy is fine, everyone has their preffered brand but most are made by other brands anyway, i think dunlop is made by BAL.

wayne

TF
Reaction score
it will be fine for the floorbut if its grey adhesive it may bleed through the travertine. single part flex will be fine for the walls. dunlop is not bad gear its part of bal but aimed more for diy i think

D

Dean A

Cheers all - I will use the Dunlop on the floors and pick up some BAL White Star for the walls!

I am using white addy throughout as fully aware of the bleeding, but thanks for that :)

Reply to Have I made a mistake - Dunlop addy! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks