Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Hallway Tiling advice please in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Sam_h

-
Reaction score
Hi there

I have received 2 quotes from different tilers and both have different ideas on how to best do the job.

I wanted to ask for some opinions on what is the correct way to tile my hallway and if either of the below options are right.

The hallway is currently original pine floorboards (1930's house) 9m2 in size.

Tiler 1:
Fix down any loose floor boards.
Prime the floor.
Lay 10mm Wedi boards on top of boards with tile adhesive, screw down with fixings too.
Lay the electric under floor heating mat.
Level over the cables with latex floor leveller.
Lay the porcelain tiles.

Tiler 2:
Fix down any loose floor boards.
Prime the floor.
Lay 6mm Hardie Backer Boards
Lay the electric under floor heating mat.
Use 3 extra bags of adhesive to cover wires.
Lay the porcelain tiles.

The real difference I suppose is Wedi or Hardie Backer board. I wonder what is most suitable for a hallway with UFH?

Thanks in advance. Gregg

Sam_h

-
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions
My option would be 6mm Hardibacker, ufh and then self levelling, less build up than wedi boards. But tiler one has the best method.
Thanks Dave

Appreciate your thoughts.

Is Hardibacker ok as an insulator for the UFH?

Cheers
[automerge]1598563049[/automerge]
Option 1 for me 👍
Cheers CJ
[automerge]1598563064[/automerge]
Personally I’d go for option one, as above best method.
Thanks Bond

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions

Thanks Dave

Appreciate your thoughts.

Is Hardibacker ok as an insulator for the UFH?

Cheers
[automerge]1598563049[/automerge]

Cheers CJ
[automerge]1598563064[/automerge]

Thanks Bond
Ufh works fine with Hardibacker, its a timber floor , so insulation isn’t a massive issue compared to say a screed floor.

Sam_h

-
Reaction score
Cheers Sean

Yes the hallway was previously carpeted with thick carpet and underlay. should be enough depth to play with but think i'll go for the hardiebacker for this reason too :thumbsup:
[automerge]1598614403[/automerge]
Could anyone please recommend the best adhesive to fix the Hardibacker down onto the floorboards?

Thank you

Last edited:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I personally use BAL FLEX ONE, but you can use any powered adhesive. The adhesive is really there to fill the voids over floorboards. The boards are then screwed (I use about 15 screws). A very important thing to remember is that the boards have to be taped with fiba tape. This bonds the boards together when tile adhesive is scraped over the joints & tape.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sam, just a little bit more advice:

Of course some customers try and save money by doing the prep themselves. However, lets say in a few weeks/months time a tile cracks or a bit of grout comes out.

Whos fault is it? Was the prep done correctly? were all the boards screwed down? Were there voids under the Hardibacker? etc etc.

Some tilers would rather do the prep themselves. Then they can guarantee the whole job.

A hallway is a high traffic area.

Do you have the skills & tools to cut Hardiebacker (carbide tipped scorer)? Do you have an impact driver to drive the screws through concrete and into your floorboards? Do you have a 6mm trowel & bucket trowel etc. I mention these because unless you are going to use these tools again they are pretty niche and the chances are they won't aget used again.

Saying that........you might be in the trade yourself and can easily prep a floor before tiling!

Good luck whatever you do.

Sam_h

-
Reaction score
Sam, just a little bit more advice:

Of course some customers try and save money by doing the prep themselves. However, lets say in a few weeks/months time a tile cracks or a bit of grout comes out.

Whos fault is it? Was the prep done correctly? were all the boards screwed down? Were there voids under the Hardibacker? etc etc.

Some tilers would rather do the prep themselves. Then they can guarantee the whole job.

A hallway is a high traffic area.

Do you have the skills & tools to cut Hardiebacker (carbide tipped scorer)? Do you have an impact driver to drive the screws through concrete and into your floorboards? Do you have a 6mm trowel & bucket trowel etc. I mention these because unless you are going to use these tools again they are pretty niche and the chances are they won't aget used again.

Saying that........you might be in the trade yourself and can easily prep a floor before tiling!

Good luck whatever you do.

Hi Sean

Opted in the end to let the tiler do this bit. I reckon i could've done it but more concerned if anything went wrong and fallout from that,

Cheers!

Reply to Hallway Tiling advice please in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks