Search the forum,

Discuss grout line thickness? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tiler Blackpool

Hi All,
Quick one for you. starting a 19m2 uncalibrated slate floor in a pattern tomorrow. What size Grout line would your preference be?
Thanks!

Reaction score
There is no right, probably just a wrong grout gap. Would not recommend going below 3mm - but I have seen slate laid at 2 and 1mm. The uncalibrated refers to differing thickness of slate - mostly they are cut fairly consistently width/length. However you must check first, then you may discover width/length variations of perhaps 2 or 3mm - and in order to keep the pattern uniform you may need a 7 or 8mm gap. Some of the bigger slabs look better with 10mm gap. Then there is the customer view - offer a 5mm gap and most accept with floors.

T

Tiler Blackpool

There is no right, probably just a wrong grout gap. Would not recommend going below 3mm - but I have seen slate laid at 2 and 1mm. The uncalibrated refers to differing thickness of slate - mostly they are cut fairly consistently width/length. However you must check first, then you may discover width/length variations of perhaps 2 or 3mm - and in order to keep the pattern uniform you may need a 7 or 8mm gap. Some of the bigger slabs look better with 10mm gap. Then there is the customer view - offer a 5mm gap and most accept with floors.

Thanks Andy, will double check these things and offer the 5mm gap,(providing the slate allows it) as the customer will be there...as he has booked the week off to be!!

Reaction score
Eye joint is you set gap by eye and not spacer - if stone is not uniform size its the only way to set a pattern - the chalk line or laser is to keep a straight overall line.

M

Mr T

thanks... they are uniform size arnt they? is it not just the actual thickness of the tile?

T

Time's Ran Out

Mr 't' - I'am not sure if an eye joint has a definitive measurement value as in 5/6mm or similar, or indeed if there is a relevant British Standard for Uncalibrated slate, however it is often considered that with tiles of varying sizes a regular joint sizes formed by using a consistent thickness of spacer peg will not provide a straight line in the layout.
Therefore by using a chalk line and keeping it between the tiles with equal distance either side ( judged by using 1 eye open and the other closed - eye line) then this will provide the required joint size. Hope this helps.

F

Fyingscotsman

Eye joint as theyre almost certain to not be all the exact same size so doing this gives you a bit of play when different sizes comes into it.

Del

Reply to grout line thickness? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen