Discuss Grohe shower mixers holes in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Bill

Large shower mixer holes.

What do you guys use to cut these holes as i have to do this week that has a 158ish hole and the cover plate is extremely tight.

Thanks in advance.

W

Waluigi

That’ll be a Grohe Smart control then with that Dimension.

Draw around the white cover that comes with the Rapido back box and then cut out with a grinder a millimetre or two away from the edge and then use a vacuum brazed finger bit to get to the line.

Yes I agree that the Grohe valves don’t leave much margin for error. Especially the Square Shrouds.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

I’ve a 120mm electroplated drill bit, I know it’s not big enough, but it slices thro porcelain and you’re straight in to the middle of your hole with grinder to open it up.
For the cost (anything from £23 ) I find it faster and less risky.

W

Waluigi

You can buy 150mm hole saws. Might be worth looking into.

I’ve always managed without the larger hole saws but I agree that it’s probably less risky. It’s time consuming going full at it with a grinder IMO.

I

Italy

finger bit
same a waluigi
SHDIATOOL-2pcs-20mm-Vacuum-Brazed-Diamond-finger-bits-With-M14-Thread-Enlarge-shape-round-bevel-existing.jpg_50x50.jpg

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I’ve a 120mm electroplated drill bit, I know it’s not big enough, but it slices thro porcelain and you’re straight in to the middle of your hole with grinder to open it up.
For the cost (anything from £23 ) I find it faster and less risky.
That’s exactly what I did on my last Smart shower. Used the 120 then just ground out the hole with a large hole cutter

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This is when my rotozip comes out

T

Time's Ran Out

Most of the time the tiler is not informed of the size or there is no cover plate available to template the required fitting.
Thus it’s all finished and grouted when the trade responsible finally comes back and tells you there is a gap and you cut it short!
Even when there’s just 2 pipes sticking out the wall they can’t get them straight or the correct distance apart.
You see you’ve even got me talking about plumbing now.

W

Waluigi

Word of warning then- if the back box is blue and round, cut nice and tight as it’s a Grohe Rapido Smart box.

I think they allow 2mm so not too bad.

D

Dumbo

Word of warning then- if the back box is blue and round, cut nice and tight as it’s a Grohe Rapido Smart box.

I think they allow 2mm so not too bad.
Benefit flush plate holes say 1mm or something like that but in reality you have more room . So is it as tight as that .

Reply to Grohe shower mixers holes in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks