Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Getting paid in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

colin178

Hi

What is the normal procedure when being paid by the customer?

Do they give you the cash / cheque as soon as you've finished the job, before you leave?

Or do you finish the job go home and wait for a cheque to be posted through your door?

Cheers

Col

B

Bolter

Thats something to discuss with each individual customers, preferably before you undertake any work.

A

arthurdaley

Yep, discuss at the beginning, l have several customers l do regular work for, they have my account details l send an email with the total due they then transfer the money, would only do this with reliable customers you can trust.
lf its new customers l ask for 25% deposit at the beginning and the remaining balance when the jobs finished, day before it is finished l politely bring it up in conversation, lm not too keen leaving a job and giving them the option of posting a cheque. If the job is a long one say 2-3 weeks l ask for part payment end of each week, remainder once finished.

C

Colour Republic

I very rarely work with cash anymore, it always seems a bit Delboy. Most people have internet banking so 90% of the time I work via bank transfer, the customer always feels easier if they have a 'paper' trail. If you have completed a job them give them an invoice and terms i.e payment now due, 7 days terms, 14 days... 30 days...

D

doug boardley

some customers, especially domestic, will give you a cheque as you finish the job. Commercial work is a different ball game, you can wait up to 2 months for it:thumbsup:

P

Perry

some customers, especially domestic, will give you a cheque as you finish the job. Commercial work is a different ball game, you can wait up to 2 months for it:thumbsup:
wish that was true Doug have been waiting for some over a year it aint always that easy to collect mate

D

doug boardley

wish that was true Doug have been waiting for some over a year it aint always that easy to collect mate
yep Pete, I know peeps sometimes struggle to get the coin in, esp on site work. My way is to bill contractor little and often, that way I'm never gonna have to take a big hit if payment is not forthcoming:20:

H

hillhead

i finished site job last wednesday,got cheque thursday evening! if all was like that i'd be happier:mad2:

F

Fred

I tell all my clients its pay day the moment I leave. Cheque, cash or on-line banking, they all get a proper receipt on payment. Got to pay the taxman.:thumbsup:

F

faithhealer

Always paid before I leave the premises, always ask them If they neen a 'headed' receipt as well as the 'duplicate book', invoice. Cheques always made out to company name not my name. Only exception is complete bathroom refurbs where I allow them to keep a couple of hundred for a week to made sure workmanship is up to scratch etc

P

psychowitch

I tend to give my customers 7days to pay so they can check out my work..but most pay on the final day ...although just done some refurbishment for a hotel and its overdue by 30days :incazzato: so now chasing them...also found out I can charge interest on overdue payments :hurray: ... they owe me another 87p...

K

kameleon

If i'm suppling the materials I get the money them on the day of starting, you shouldn't have to bankroll somebody else's job. Also if you do get stiffed it's only cost you time.

Reaction score
just read through all the post's,some interesting way's,I'm glad you all take care to get paid,and so you should !!! its very dangerous at the mo
smiley3749.gif

lucius

TF
Reaction score
Bangers and mash in the claw as you walk out the door, wouldnt take a cheque of a private customer nowadays unless i realy knew them.
Lucius

Reply to Getting paid in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks