Search the forum,

Discuss Getting an account at a tile store.... to get business from it. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
A tip.

I have noticed that loads of you mention that you have cards in tiles stores and what-not and many of you talk about it and I've even see some mention the fact that the tile shop had loads of cards and you get no business from them because of it.

Here's the reason why (in most cases).

A tile store at the end of the day just needs figures on their books and money in their till so if you are hitting an established store, one that has cards in already you'll find you're treding on somebodys toes. When I worked for topps we had offers for cards on a weekly basis yet only gave out a mix of 4 or 5 who were the ones that came in the store all the time with customers showing them tiles. They would be the guys that are there before us in the morning waiting for their stuff, they would be the guys who buy us butties at lunch when they're near but most of all they are the guys that gave the store cash YET NO COMEBACKS.

So when we ran out of cards for those or whatever nd picked up one we didn't know well we'd always say to the customer that they need to get a few quotes and not just go by our say-so as we just couldn't trust the tiler, not even giving them a chance to prove themselves as within a few days we'll have the normal cards in again.... sort of thing.

So my advice and tip.

When you take a bunch of cards into any tile store first ask for the manager. Second make sure you take customers in there. Maybe go setup an account one day, go see the manager and put cards in the store on another day, and then take your wife in there on another day and get her a quote with a guy fro the store, then go in the next day and have another word and really sell yourself in a nice way.

Always pop in when you're around even if it's to get a bag of spacers or to ask what their frost-proof floor tiles are and can you have a coule of samples to show somebody. And make it look like you can send business to them and you're not another New Tiler with the Training Centre "approved" logo on your card or another fly-by tiling firm. You are a quality tiler who has your own customers and you're not using the store to gain any, infact you'll be sending them more business.

And I bet you have a better response.

I have found local shopping superstore notice boards at a cost of a few quid per week beneficial for various businesses i've had that are targetted locally as the guys who shop in there know you're not a Jipsy and know you're local and if they see your advert there 52 weeks in the year, the one day they need you they feel like they already know you or your company.

Excuse my typo's.

G

grumpygrouter

Got a big job recently from cards in a tile shop - topps - don't know if it was coincidence or the shop pushed it as there was aselction of 4 or 5 on the counter. Didn't matter though cos I dropped a small case of beer in for the guys. They seemed really surprised and appreciative. They all know who I am now though.:wink_smile:

P

penno

I went into topps in Trafford Manchester last week, bloke just had no interest atall "no we don't have any boards or anything for you to put a business card on"
end of conversation

I

IvegotsTILE

Thats rough Penno mate but Dan and Grumpy are spot on.I did nearly to the letter what Dan said,I'm in there every week even if its just to get something I don't need and chat to them for 10 mins,I ask my customers who gave them my card so I can bung em a tenner every now and again,I make sure I call them all by their first name(not hard they wear a badge)I try and get every customer I can to get their materials from there.If I ever see any of them out in town I always buy them a drink.
I even thought of asking the manager out(thats LEANNE don't want Gaz feeling left out)but if I pissed her off I'd be screwed so I thought better of it.

Just get to know them on a personal level and send plenty of business their way and you'll get plenty of work sent your way!

G

GazTech

I removed all the trade cards from the counter about 6 weeks ago,couldn't see the bloody counter for them !!!! Our area is now riddled with Newbies,who print themselves a card and think thats a qualification.One fella came in the shop last week,scruffy oik,couldn't see skin for ink.He asked could he leave his cards I said no,not unless I saw his portfolio and that his work had to be of a good standard before he could be let loose,he asked me what portfolio was !

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I get a lot of work from my local Topps.............but then again, I'm in there every other day or so. Also take them in a bag of donuts now and then as well..............it all goes down well.

They all know me, and vice versa

Reply to Getting an account at a tile store.... to get business from it. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen