Search the forum,

Discuss Full tile at ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

onedrip

Hi all, could anyone please advise if it is OK to have a full tile next to the ceiling. I have 33x25cm tiles with a 7.5cm border. If I have a full tile 2mm above the bath it works out there is a gap of about 3mm between the last tile and ceiling, although I realize that this will vary with the ceiling level. The reason for my question is that, setting out posts I have read, seem to say to go for the middle of the wall (vertically) and work from there. I am about to start tiling and would appreciate any advice. Many thanks.

E

enduro

I always set out from the cenre of the wall so you get even cuts into the corners. So find the centre of the wall then place a tile next to the line then measure with a tile across the wall until you get to the corner..if you find you are going to cut a small piece against the corner then go back to your centre line and place the line is in the centre of the tile and this will give you a better cut into the corners, you can use a full tile up to the ceiling but makes sure it fits the whole length of the wall, and once finished use caulk or silicone against the edge of the tile and the ceiling. :thumbsup:

pete f

TF
Arms
Reaction score
one drip you will be better setting out so that the ceiling tile is threequarters or half a tile most ceilings run out if you set out that the last tile is full you have no margin to work with to get the right cuts in if the ceiling is out:thumbsup:

B

Bartlett

Just wondering if your bath is completely level? It's quite possible that it's not, in which case you need a cut tile (not a full tile) above the bath, which in turn will help you to solve the problem of the full tile at ceiling height.

T

Time's Ran Out

What size spacer peg are you using?
If you can get a full tile off the bath and it gives you a full tile to the ceiling - then you've got the almost perfect room!
As others you must check to see how level the bath and ceiling are before you start and draw you datum line level around the room to check all the other horizontal positions that are required ie shower tray, window cill, floor cut... before you make your final decision.
And post pictures!!!!:thumbsup:

O

onedrip

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think I may raise the tiles about 80mm. I can't raise them anymore because of the border and a window cill. I will then end up with a gap of 80mm again, between the top of the border and the window cill. Could I ask you guys in the know if this sounds feasible, or is this too small a tile on top of the bath and also between the border and window cill.

M

marke

i would say your askin for a bit of mither mate imo , from what you described sounds more sensible to put half tile off the bath (allow for not being level) that will leave you with half tile at the ceiling which allows you to fit a nice cut even if ceiling is not level (cant imagine its perfect). if you go with full tile to top and your ceiling lifts in to a corner by 5-10mm you will wish you hadn't mate !:thumbsup:

Reply to Full tile at ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen