Search the forum,

Discuss Full tile at ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

onedrip

Hi all, could anyone please advise if it is OK to have a full tile next to the ceiling. I have 33x25cm tiles with a 7.5cm border. If I have a full tile 2mm above the bath it works out there is a gap of about 3mm between the last tile and ceiling, although I realize that this will vary with the ceiling level. The reason for my question is that, setting out posts I have read, seem to say to go for the middle of the wall (vertically) and work from there. I am about to start tiling and would appreciate any advice. Many thanks.

E

enduro

I always set out from the cenre of the wall so you get even cuts into the corners. So find the centre of the wall then place a tile next to the line then measure with a tile across the wall until you get to the corner..if you find you are going to cut a small piece against the corner then go back to your centre line and place the line is in the centre of the tile and this will give you a better cut into the corners, you can use a full tile up to the ceiling but makes sure it fits the whole length of the wall, and once finished use caulk or silicone against the edge of the tile and the ceiling. :thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

What size spacer peg are you using?
If you can get a full tile off the bath and it gives you a full tile to the ceiling - then you've got the almost perfect room!
As others you must check to see how level the bath and ceiling are before you start and draw you datum line level around the room to check all the other horizontal positions that are required ie shower tray, window cill, floor cut... before you make your final decision.
And post pictures!!!!:thumbsup:

O

onedrip

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think I may raise the tiles about 80mm. I can't raise them anymore because of the border and a window cill. I will then end up with a gap of 80mm again, between the top of the border and the window cill. Could I ask you guys in the know if this sounds feasible, or is this too small a tile on top of the bath and also between the border and window cill.

M

marke

i would say your askin for a bit of mither mate imo , from what you described sounds more sensible to put half tile off the bath (allow for not being level) that will leave you with half tile at the ceiling which allows you to fit a nice cut even if ceiling is not level (cant imagine its perfect). if you go with full tile to top and your ceiling lifts in to a corner by 5-10mm you will wish you hadn't mate !:thumbsup:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I would sugest that you start by making a staff,/pinchrod, or gauging stick, depending on which area you are from. Everyone has their own name for them,basically, you take a piece of wood approx 1.5m long 5mm thick 30mm wide (just a guide) place your tiles on the staff side by side,and place spacer in between each tile. With a pencil mark each tile joint. If your tiles are oblong, mark short side on one side of staff, and long side on the reverse. Whith this you can predetermine exactly where each cut will come. Once you are happy with the set out, mark a level line all around the room and off you go. Hope this makes sense, and is of help.:thumbsup:

This is my first go at photos, hope it works. I hope this shows my problems and thanks again for any advice.Broken Link Removed

Hard to really tell, but is that a gap at the top of tile meets ceiling ? if so, how big, and the problem then is that if the ceiling is out of whack your going to end up with all sorts of problems. Again, hard to tell from the pictures, but from a setting out point of view I would probably drop down by about a third of a tile, the bottom of the beam above the window would be top of tile, this would give a nice continuation line around, a nice cut around the bath, cuts to the ceiling and floor to compensate for any differences in levels.

Again, it is hard to tell from pictures :thumbsup:

EDIT: oops my bad, didn't look properly at tile to floor, rethink time.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bartlett

Hi, I would definitely avoid the coving idea.
I advise that you make the tile above your bath a cut tile, not a whole one. As posted previously this will allow for the bath not being 100% level and will solve the problem with the gap at ceiling height. But plan around the rest of the room, ie, window, toilet, sink etc etc to ensure that you do not need to cut any small slivers of tile in any place, ie, plan ahead.
Read back over the replies already given; there is some good advice here! And ask any questions you like!

Reply to Full tile at ceiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.