Discuss Floor tiles in cloak room in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Dion

Hi, I’m planning on tiling a very small cloak room, currently original wooden floorboards.
Plan is too use 12mm ply but I keep reading this a bad idea?!? This is not a wet room so is ply ok?

T

Tile Shop

Ply is ok but 12mm is not considered thick enough to stop vertical deflection or movement. British Standards recommend 15-18mm. Or you can use a cement-based backerboard glued and screwed, in either 6mm or 12mm , depending on how much bounce is already in the original floor.

W

Waluigi

Also the reason Ply is rarely considered acceptable is because of the veneer. It’s far too thin in most ply wood and the glue used in the bonding process isn’t good enough to stop the ply from easily delaminating. There are a few exceptions to this- SP101, FG1 and Some Marine Ply however Ply isn’t necessarily a particularly stable product in humid environments and some of these ply wood products I mentioned above are very expensive therefore most tilers opt for a tile backer board, Hardiebacker being the most popular however I prefer using a silica free board like Orbrey Pro Ply.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not seen the Orbry Pro Ply, is it similar to Knauf Aquapanel?

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Orbry Pro Ply is a water resistant construction board that is suitable for use with tiles, paint, wallpaper & plaster. The 1200x800mm boards are available in 6mm or 12mm thicknesses and can be used internally and externally. Made using a low CO2 method, Orbry Pro Ply boards are also free from silica and asbestos and are not affected by changes in temperatures - perfect if using with underfloor heating systems.

Features & Benefits:

• 1200x800mm; 6mm or 12mm thick
  • Strong
  • Lightweight
  • Impact resistant
  • Environmentally friendly
  • Non-flammable
  • Asbestos & silica free
  • Mould resistant
  • Internal & external use
6mm thick boards can be used to strengthen an existing timber floor in place of 15-18mm WBP plywood, while the 12mm boards replace plasterboard on walls & ceilings internally. The boards are water resistant but will need tanking if used in wet areas. Each board has a rough and smooth side - the smooth side should be fixed to the floor/wall with the rough side facing outwards.

Please note Orbry Pro Ply boards will be delivered on a pallet.
Orbry Pro Ply is a water resistant construction board that is suitable for use with tiles, paint, wallpaper & plaster. The 1200x800mm boards are available in 6mm or 12mm thicknesses and can be used internally and externally. Made using a low CO2 method, Orbry Pro Ply boards are also free from silica and asbestos and are not affected by changes in temperatures - perfect if using with underfloor heating systems.

Features & Benefits:

• 1200x800mm; 6mm or 12mm thick
  • Strong
  • Lightweight
  • Impact resistant
  • Environmentally friendly
  • Non-flammable
  • Asbestos & silica free
  • Mould resistant
  • Internal & external use
6mm thick boards can be used to strengthen an existing timber floor in place of 15-18mm WBP plywood, while the 12mm boards replace plasterboard on walls & ceilings internally. The boards are water resistant but will need tanking if used in wet areas. Each board has a rough and smooth side - the smooth side should be fixed to the floor/wall with the rough side facing outwards.

Orbry Pro Ply Hard Tile Backer Board - https://www.tilefixdirect.com/product/Orbry-Pro-Ply-Board

D

Dion

Thanks for this, I’ll go for cement board. Can I glue with no more nails type stuff?

G

GoneGuy

Thanks for this, I’ll go for cement board. Can I glue with no more nails type stuff?
When we say glue. Means using tile adhesive with 6mm notch trowel this also acts as a filler of any voids underneath the board

Reply to Floor tiles in cloak room in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks