Discuss Floor tiles flush with sliding door threshold in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Going to soon start tiling our open-plan kitchen/dining area, which has a large sliding door along one wall. I'm using 600x600 porcelain. The plan was to get the top of the floor tiles flush with the top of the sliding door cill to create a seamless transition from inside to out (decking on the outside).

I've been setting out today and as I suspected, unfortunately, it looks like the sliding doors have been set about 5mm too low once you take into account the adhesive bed. So if you get down to floor level you can see a few mm of the tile edge sticking above the top of the cill. Probably won't be noticeable to most people but it is to me and I know it will annoy me forever more!!

I can't decide what the best method is to finish it now. Options:

1. Just tile up to the cill, leave my standard 2mm gap for grout and just chamfer the grout down from the top of the tile to top of the cill;
2. Place a straight chrome trim between the tile and the cill to hide the edge of the tile;
3. Place an angled chrome trim between the tile and cill. Something like this:
Schlüter®-RENO-TK | Installation | Schlüter-Systems - http://www.schluter.co.uk/reno-tk-installation.aspx

Any other options? Would be grateful to hear opinions/advice from pros who may have encountered this problem before. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Roughly 10mm between the top of the cill and the floor. The tiles are also 10mm, so it's really the adhesive bed that is pushing the tiles above the top of the cill.

Reaction score
IMG_20180404_194240.jpg
IMG_20180404_194222.jpg
IMG_20180404_194331.jpg
A few pictures attached. One shows the tile with a slight lip above the cill - about 2-3mm. Another shows more of a lip - about 5mm, I think the screed must be slightly higher at this point for some reason. This seems to be the highest point along the length of the cill.

W

WetSaw

So is the screed not level or flat? Are you going to have a cut or full tile to the cill?
You may be able to grind the floor a bit or a trim as suggested above.

Reaction score
Update - scraped off some of the screed which was a touch high in places. I've tiled up to the cill and the top of the tile is about 3mm higher than the top of the cill all the way along, which I am quite pleased with.

There is about a 4mm gap between tile edge and the cill now - should have been 2mm to match the grout lines but guess my setting out wasn't spot on. I'm planning to use Mapei grout in silver grey but am I better off using their sealant in the same colour between the tile and the sliding door cill as I would think the cill will contract and expand?

Or should I grout this gap and then maybe add some sealant on top at later date if the grout cracks?

G

GoneGuy

Go with the matching silicone, more flexible as good chance the grout might crack if the cill flexes.

Reply to Floor tiles flush with sliding door threshold in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks