Search the forum,

Discuss Floor Tile 'pads' instead of adhesive! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wtc175

About a year ago, I was sent info on a replacement method of fixing floor tiles. Instead of the standard adhesive and grout, the company produced rubber discs which were placed one each corner + one central which spaced them equally. Instead of grout, silicone was used in between the tiles. Has anyone any experience of this product?? I am replacing the floor of my showroom and thought this would a good method as I could replace discontinued tiles easily. I can't find the manufacturer either - so would appreciate anyone pointing me in this direction.

D

Deleted member 9966

To be honest wtc, if you cannot find the manufacturer even after searching on the internet, chances are then this product is no longer in production or may just have been a concept to start with.

I cannot see that any of the pro-tilers on here would back a product that sticks tiles to a floor using rubber discs and silicone.

You may want to wait and see what some of the other lads and lassie's say about the product as I'm not a full time tiler, but I know I have definitely not come across a product like this myself. If it was such a revoluationary product, why is it not big business a year on?

Anymore thoughts peeps?

T

TJ Smiler

Well said that girl............ I have never herd of it and i can almost certainly tell you that it wont work, it sounds like a bunch of mugs who want to rob the DIY'ER of their hard earned cash.

Stick to the proper way mate and remember that preping the surface you are tiling onto is probably the most important part of the job.

If you happen to come accross these people again please let me know where they are, i would love to have my wicked way with them and i'm pretty sure my little ginger friend would too eh Wivs??

Good luck mate

TJ

J

jay

yep have seen it TAU TILES ARE DEVELOPING IT think from memory it works out the same in price and the perimatre tile is stuck down they call it dry laying hope this helps:8:

T

TJ Smiler

Would you use it though Jay, is it any good or am i getting the wrong end of the stick

TJ

C

Colour Republic

I fail to see how this product wouldn't leave voids under the tile and in turn create weak points in said tile and would be prone to cracking?

Are we talking about ceramic tiles here or vinyl?

J

jay

hi its a new method mainly used for showrooms and shop floors trying to find out more for a while now no real luck app in europe they do shop floors and after 2 to 5 years just lift it and lay different ones ill do some digging something to watch i can see adv in showroom floors not domestic :8:

T

TJ Smiler

Thats exactly why i thoght this wouldn't work too colour.

Nice on Jay, cheers mate

TJ

C

Colour Republic

arhhh they are tile company full of geeks...

'Spanish company Tau Cerámica has developed tiles with weight sensors and microchips that can tell when someone stands on them and for how long.
It’s a technology in search of an application, and retail could be the answer. Retailers could detect footfall and dwell times near displays, and even link the tiles to CCTV or loudspeakers for targeted store announcements and that Minority Report experience. In the real world, Tau’s anti-slip porcelain stoneware tiles are suitable for retail environments.'

I could see some fun applications for this though, the next time the mrs is in the bathroom, you can stand behind the door shouting things like...

you been stood in front of that mirror for 2o minutes now'
'how long does it take to do a no. 2?'
'are you doing the tango in there?'

and if you're really brave...

'blimey, you've put on some weight love!'

J

jay

yep what you can do with money i am sceptical about dry laying floors but tau make quite good floor and wall tiles have laid heaps have found artical reg dry laying will try to download :8:

W

wtc175

Thanks all for the info. It was advertised in one of the trade tile journals and seeing samples - they were just rubber discs with a ridged cross so that the 4 corners of adjoining tiles would sit on it - equally spaced. They wanted me to purchase vast minimum quantities so I didn't pursue it further. The advantages seemed valid ie tiles could be re-laid at leisure ( though removing the silicone in between the tiles might have been labour intensive), silicone laying is quicker than conventional grouting (apparently), and is more impervious to water than grout. My concern was that on a level floor it would be fine but what about uneven floors where normal adhesives could be used to take up the inconsistencies. I have tried Googling but failed.

G

Gazzer

Thanks all for the info. It was advertised in one of the trade tile journals and seeing samples - they were just rubber discs with a ridged cross so that the 4 corners of adjoining tiles would sit on it - equally spaced. They wanted me to purchase vast minimum quantities so I didn't pursue it further. The advantages seemed valid ie tiles could be re-laid at leisure ( though removing the silicone in between the tiles might have been labour intensive), silicone laying is quicker than conventional grouting (apparently), and is more impervious to water than grout. My concern was that on a level floor it would be fine but what about uneven floors where normal adhesives could be used to take up the inconsistencies. I have tried Googling but failed.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: oh you kill me mate.

F

Fekin

I cannot see how siliconing the joints can be quicker than grouting, most probably be 10 times slower, if not more :lol:

The whole system sounds like cack

:ack2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
. It was advertised in one of the trade tile journals and seeing samples - they were just rubber discs with a ridged cross so that the 4 corners of adjoining tiles would sit on it - .

was this in aprils publication...the 1st maybe.....lol

Reply to Floor Tile 'pads' instead of adhesive! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Anyone know where I could find this tile to replace cracked ones. It is a floor tile and...
Replies
Views
Hi looking for advice laying these floor tiles. My bathroom is chipboard. I’m going to get...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen