Discuss Fixing hardibacker to rendered /skimmed wall in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm redoing my bathroom that I did 15 odd years ago. Before it was tiled with 20x20 tiles, no moisture has got through and the walls were still sound.

Shower end is stud wall which I removed the board and reboarded with new pipe work inside for the new shower.

The side wall is a rendered / gypsum finished block wall (celcon type block) which a lot of the thistle finish came of with the tiles with quite a bit of effort, the remaining thistle was rock hard fixed so was left in place.

I PVA'ed and reskimmed all walls including the boarded wall and made flat with "make good multi finish" same as thistle finish I think

I now realize that as its a shower in a bath it now needs to be tanked, I've also realized that the plaster may not be strong enough for the tiles I've chosen (600x300) can't get on the website but I think 11-12mm thick!

The boarded wall 1m wide I could remove the plasterboard and reboard with 12mm hardibacker.
But what about the full wall 2m wide can I add 6mm hardibacker to this and fix through the plaster and render to the block or do I need to chisel it off and fix direct to the blocks? The render appears to be solid hence I skimmed it but i guess if screwing is an option screwing to the block is a better idea?

I planed on tiling around the whole bathroom this time, the other walls being plaster boarded walls but a strange type of construction plasterboard walls with a cardboard lattice connecting both sides of the wall with 34x something struts every 300 to 400mm I could screw through 6mm hardibacker board to theses struts would this be ok?

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

The suppliers web site is finally working "Porcelain tiles" doesn't say thickness but i think 11 or 12mm but i can check.

This is one of the tiles for one wall the others the same but flat

Thanks,
Chris.

Reaction score
Thanks for helping Dave
:( was thinking it would be

No not really the room too small to dry line. Guess you mean batten and then board with hardibacker or the likes on top of the render and plaster?

whats the best plan hack off the render back to the block going to be hard to get it off.

no idea how flat it will be until its off the render wasn't very flat but i assume that was just the rendering.

The stud wall plaster board off and hardibacker?

Thanks,
Chris.

Reply to Fixing hardibacker to rendered /skimmed wall in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks