Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss First tiling job after my course with UKPTT in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I remember my first day of work Experience. 16 years old, walked into a room with ten hairy 4rse Plumbers in, one of them asked what I wanted and I said I was doing my work experience. ‘Oh great another thick c/u next Tuesday’ was his reply and they all laughed.

I had four weeks of that. You move on and learn from it. Getting a bit of criticism on a forum is nothing.

Ha ha, reminds me of my first day they had me on a roof pushing flue liners down chimneys for back boilers, remember them? Baxi Bermuda’s if I recall, buggers took the ladder away and left me up there all day!
Day 2 was cleaning flux residue off of pipe work with wire wool, I always carry a wet cloth to clean as I go since then.
Better stop talking plumbing they might get upset!!

D

Dumbo

so you never messed up as an apprentice/ newbe causing the boss an expense

and as with every trade disrepute is already there / around simple way to find some look at site work and how many on here eg people asking advice after a tilers been in and there not happy / have a feeling
That's the thing . If he did mess while he was learning someone was there to pick up the pieces

W

Waluigi

Ha ha, reminds me of my first day they had me on a roof pushing flue liners down chimneys for back boilers, remember them? Baxi Bermuda’s if I recall, buggers took the ladder away and left me up there all day!
Day 2 was cleaning flux residue off of pipe work with wire wool, I always carry a wet cloth to clean as I go since then.
Better stop talking plumbing they might get upset!!

I’m sure they will be fine. Up the revolution!! :D

B

Blunt Tool

I don’t phone a plumber or an electrician or put my car into a garage and tell them to just try their best and if they mess up not to worry about it and pay them in full even if the lights are all broken, water everywhere and car has now no doors or engine. I expect someone who is either fully trained or accompanying someone who is, so why should my trade be any different?

W

Waluigi

Because tiling is still considered a DIY trade by some people. Completely unjustified but that’s the way it is.

Same with decorating. Partly justified.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ah, we all secretly wish we were electricians though don’t we.
The Demi gods of the building trade, or so they believe.

W

Waluigi

For me it’s about job satisfaction. I find that having something to admire after a days/week/months work is the most rewarding. I just didn’t get that from Plumbing alone.

I can imagine the same could be said for an unskilled job like Electrician.

B

Blunt Tool

Never trust a trade that hides most their work behind walls or under floors is what my journeyman would always say, and never accept a cup of tea from them ;)

Reply to First tiling job after my course with UKPTT in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks