Search the forum,

Discuss Finishing off someone elses tiling ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jimmy Boy

Been to a ladies flat today, sister of a freind. She bought this flat and it has an additional single lavatory. Flat was empty for 10 months.
The walls of lavatory have been tiled but not grouted. Obviously a diy job as it was not set out correct but the tiling is fairly passable all for one corner that is not 90deg but more like *60degrees?!?! (*see below), between the door frame and this corner that is about 3inches. Waste tiles have been used to fill this area and the cuts are very out, leaving a downward grout line that is all over the place. What is the widest silicone spread you would use and how would you silicone a corner that is not 90deg as below ?

* If your normal internal corner was like the hands of a clock at 3o'clock then this corner is more like 5 o'clock

Thanx Jimbo

G

GazTech

just silicone down the corner Jimmy.where the joint is....it wont look worse, at least it will have some protection....Gaz

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fekin

I've been asked quite a few times now to finish off someones tiling, and it's always the worst DIY job you can imagin aswell.

Total horrors, never done one yet unless they decided to have me take the lot down and start again.

J

Jimmy Boy

I did say take them down, and as flat is about 7 years old walls plaster board probably need replace if it comes away with tiles. She don't want expence.

Anyway, she knows the score and can't blame me for the tiles, but I still want to make a good looking finish, as you do.

B

Big-Smudge

Been to a ladies flat today, sister of a freind. She bought this flat and it has an additional single lavatory. Flat was empty for 10 months.
The walls of lavatory have been tiled but not grouted. Obviously a diy job as it was not set out correct but the tiling is fairly passable all for one corner that is not 90deg but more like *60degrees?!?! (*see below), between the door frame and this corner that is about 3inches. Waste tiles have been used to fill this area and the cuts are very out, leaving a downward grout line that is all over the place. What is the widest silicone spread you would use and how would you silicone a corner that is not 90deg as below ?

* If your normal internal corner was like the hands of a clock at 3o'clock then this corner is more like 5 o'clock

Thanx Jimbo

Hi Jimbo,

Whats the biggest gap you have fill, or the widest gap. I've used the 6mm cornertape on that sort of angle but used the 8mm forming tool with it. Whats the length of run?:thumbsup:

Best regards
Andy@CT

J

Jimmy Boy

Its about 8ft floor to ceiling, the widest gap is about 5mm but with some of the other gaps 2-3mm off center of each other could be 7-8mm to make it look a neat join.

B

bootsmckiber

Instead of leaving thick silicone joints I would go with Kerricaulk(mapei product)and match the silicone with the grout color,just for the visual,if you can't find the right color,take a handful of the grout you're using and mix it into transparent silicone,looks good,works great,about two years ago I tested this as a grout line between two pieces of ceramic,I can still bend the tile backwards until they're touching each other and the silicone/grout mixture still hasn't cracked,
Good luck,
Mike

J

Jimmy Boy

Not something i would take on myself

Not something I would do normally, just it was more a favour for a pal type thing.
His sister bought the place and with the expence of purchase has not really got the funds for major work other than give the place some redecoration.
He came to me and mentioned the ungrouted lav and basically I said if she buys the grout i'll do it and you can buy me a pint.
----
Instead of leaving thick silicone joints I would go with Kerricaulk(mapei product)and match the silicone with the grout color,just for the visual,if you can't find the right color,take a handful of the grout you're using and mix it into transparent silicone,looks good,works great,about two years ago I tested this as a grout line between two pieces of ceramic,I can still bend the tile backwards until they're touching each other and the silicone/grout mixture still hasn't cracked,
Good luck,
Mike

The thing is it needs something to cover the off set mismatch of cuts and a neat covering is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jimmy Boy

Ok, excuse the drawing, but this is the type of thing I wanted some idea about covering. On the left is the type of corner I am faced with although it's more than 5 rows high, and on the right is the type of finish I thought about, so was wondering if silicone was the wise choice ?

2314572256_a89f38f45b_o.jpg

J

Jimmy Boy

Not yet.
Been a bit tied up with a family member in hospital this week.
Should have by the weekend tho.

Reply to Finishing off someone elses tiling ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen