Search the forum,

Discuss Failed floor dot & dab in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi, I have approximately 80 m² open plan area tiled in 800 mm x 800 mm porcelain tiles. The whole installation is creaking and moving and it has become apparent that the Tiler has used a dot and dab method through out to fix the tiles. I have asked him to come and inspect the installation and give me some advice on the failure but he has denied that he has any culpability saying he has always laid tiles that way. I also have a wet underfloor heating system underneath covered by celectra screedboard. I have told him it doesn’t conform to any TTA regulations or indeed British standard 5385. Any comments would be welcome

Attachments

• BAF13BB5-E94A-4C19-842A-297A915BD7C0.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 80
  • 9A677A57-819B-42F7-9A91-16BFEF96ECF6.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 76
Reaction score
No another contractor screed the floor, laid the underfloor heating panels and then put Cellecta screedboard on top. he also didn’t prime the screed board prior to fitting the tiles, and didn’t back butter them either, or use a notch trowel

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The tiles haven’t been fixed properly. On a positive note it’s probable that the tiles will come up easily and be able to be rescued

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
total mess, and unacceptable, if he won't come back and fix it I hope you sue the pants off him, idiots like this shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a tiling insulation, and if he's always tiled this way, then he's been doing it wrong, and I dread to think of the trail of destruction he's left behind.

was he actually a tiler or a builder or multi trader ??

finlay

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this ,no option but to rip up and start again. The tiles hopefully should come up easy and you could save most of them .Makesure you get a proper tiler to re tile ,plenty of good tilers on here who maybe able to help .All the best going forward .

D

Dumbo

Did you contract the tiler , or was he supplied by by a third party
[automerge]1581098834[/automerge]
Who has lifted the tile for you

H

hmtiling

I'm guessing the celecta screed board is floating. I've tiled on this before, properly though, but can't offer a guarantee. His methods are certainly poor but might not be the only reason for failure. A floating floor system was a bad choice for a tiled finish

Reaction score
Hi, I have approximately 80 m² open plan area tiled in 800 mm x 800 mm porcelain tiles. The whole installation is creaking and moving and it has become apparent that the Tiler has used a dot and dab method through out to fix the tiles. I have asked him to come and inspect the installation and give me some advice on the failure but he has denied that he has any culpability saying he has always laid tiles that way. I also have a wet underfloor heating system underneath covered by celectra screedboard. I have told him it doesn’t conform to any TTA regulations or indeed British standard 5385. Any comments would be welcome

Last edited:

Reply to Failed floor dot & dab in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen