Search the forum,

Discuss Failed floor dot & dab in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi, I have approximately 80 m² open plan area tiled in 800 mm x 800 mm porcelain tiles. The whole installation is creaking and moving and it has become apparent that the Tiler has used a dot and dab method through out to fix the tiles. I have asked him to come and inspect the installation and give me some advice on the failure but he has denied that he has any culpability saying he has always laid tiles that way. I also have a wet underfloor heating system underneath covered by celectra screedboard. I have told him it doesn’t conform to any TTA regulations or indeed British standard 5385. Any comments would be welcome

Attachments

• BAF13BB5-E94A-4C19-842A-297A915BD7C0.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 87
  • 9A677A57-819B-42F7-9A91-16BFEF96ECF6.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 80

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
total mess, and unacceptable, if he won't come back and fix it I hope you sue the pants off him, idiots like this shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a tiling insulation, and if he's always tiled this way, then he's been doing it wrong, and I dread to think of the trail of destruction he's left behind.

was he actually a tiler or a builder or multi trader ??

Hi, I have approximately 80 m² open plan area tiled in 800 mm x 800 mm porcelain tiles. The whole installation is creaking and moving and it has become apparent that the Tiler has used a dot and dab method through out to fix the tiles. I have asked him to come and inspect the installation and give me some advice on the failure but he has denied that he has any culpability saying he has always laid tiles that way. I also have a wet underfloor heating system underneath covered by celectra screedboard. I have told him it doesn’t conform to any TTA regulations or indeed British standard 5385. Any comments would be welcome

Last edited:
D

Dumbo

Do you know what , we always have british standards mentioned more usually by ourselfs than visitors to this site and i only think it only serves to fudge the issue , as ive said before its not law ,you wont go to jail, its not even building regs , ie new houses are getting built without tanking in wet areas and building control dont care , now what im getting to is this , if a bs non compliant job is done and hasnt failed should it be redone , or if a job that is done to british standards and fails could the tiler say , it was done to bs its your problem now ,
What it should really come down to has it failed yes/no
Is it acceptable yes/no

Reply to Failed floor dot & dab in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement