Search the forum,

Discuss External concrete steps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

grumpygrouter

Hi Guys, I will be doing a set of steps soon with quarry tiles and using roll edge and corners. My question is, is it normal to use roll edge tiles on the end of the riser as well. The steps are to have the sides tiled as well.

Hopefully there will be an attachement showing the steps!!

Grumpy

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

with quarry's you have square edge...round edge ( RE,s ) and double round edge ( RE.X,s)
you would use RE,s on the top of treads and squares on the risers and RE.X,s on the corners on top of the treads....in fill every where else in squares.....center the steps and tile the risers first and then the tops ..If its doesn't work exact tiles across the width then cut the edge tiles and reverse the cut edge if you know what i mean....so as to leave the round edge on the edge....use your usual frost resistant materials........dave..

G

GazTech

Hi grouty mate,here is an example of the Ruabon quarry tiles available rounded for external steps,use the RE,REX at the edges,and just straight up underneath them on the sides...Gaz

G

grumpygrouter

with quarry's you have square edge...round edge ( RE,s ) and double round edge ( RE.X,s)
you would use RE,s on the top of treads and squares on the risers and RE.X,s on the corners on top of the treads....in fill every where else in squares.....center the steps and tile the risers first and then the tops ..If its doesn't work exact tiles across the width then cut the edge tiles and reverse the cut edge if you know what i mean....so as to leave the round edge on the edge....use your usual frost resistant materials........dave..

Hi grouty mate,here is an example of the Ruabon quarry tiles available rounded for external steps,use the RE,REX at the edges,and just straight up underneath them on the sides...Gaz
Thanks guys. I was going to start with the sides first so all the edge tiles cover them, still not sure if I should use REs on the edge of the riser though instead of square, can't visualise what it will look like in both cases and I don't have the tiles yet to play around with.

Looks like the tiles will be Ruabon either red or brown(?) 15x15. Any suggestions as to the most appropriate colour of grout. Grey was mentioned by my supplier but I am not convinced.

Cheers

Grumpy

PS was going to use full tiles everywhere without cuts, adjusting the grout line to suit, gives around a 3-4mm grout line. What do think?

D

DHTiling

If you can get away with no cuts to edges then that will look better...i grouted one job with black grout and this looked brill....make sure you use lithofin stainstop on the qaurries before grouting as this will make the clean up easier.....dave....

D

DHTiling

no probs...dave....good luck grumps and post some photo's ...should look good when done......

G

GazTech

Only a quick sketch but hope this helps...Gaz :)

G

grumpygrouter

Only a quick sketch but hope this helps...Gaz :)
Thats pretty much how I was going to do it Gaz, though I will be using REXs on the corners as Dave mentioned, and REs at the side edge of the tread as well.

The question is, if you have REXs on the corner, should the edge tile on the riser below be an RE to follow the line of the REX above, if you see what I mean. Would this cause a bit of a problem with having 2 REs at 90deg to each other from tread to riser because of the curved edge?

This sounds really complicated doesn't it when in reality it is really simple!

Starting to get a migraine!!!!!!!

Grumpy

Reply to External concrete steps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen