Currently reading:
External concrete steps

Search the forum,

Discuss External concrete steps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

with quarry's you have square edge...round edge ( RE,s ) and double round edge ( RE.X,s)
you would use RE,s on the top of treads and squares on the risers and RE.X,s on the corners on top of the treads....in fill every where else in squares.....center the steps and tile the risers first and then the tops ..If its doesn't work exact tiles across the width then cut the edge tiles and reverse the cut edge if you know what i mean....so as to leave the round edge on the edge....use your usual frost resistant materials........dave..

G

grumpygrouter

with quarry's you have square edge...round edge ( RE,s ) and double round edge ( RE.X,s)
you would use RE,s on the top of treads and squares on the risers and RE.X,s on the corners on top of the treads....in fill every where else in squares.....center the steps and tile the risers first and then the tops ..If its doesn't work exact tiles across the width then cut the edge tiles and reverse the cut edge if you know what i mean....so as to leave the round edge on the edge....use your usual frost resistant materials........dave..

Hi grouty mate,here is an example of the Ruabon quarry tiles available rounded for external steps,use the RE,REX at the edges,and just straight up underneath them on the sides...Gaz
Thanks guys. I was going to start with the sides first so all the edge tiles cover them, still not sure if I should use REs on the edge of the riser though instead of square, can't visualise what it will look like in both cases and I don't have the tiles yet to play around with.

Looks like the tiles will be Ruabon either red or brown(?) 15x15. Any suggestions as to the most appropriate colour of grout. Grey was mentioned by my supplier but I am not convinced.

Cheers

Grumpy

PS was going to use full tiles everywhere without cuts, adjusting the grout line to suit, gives around a 3-4mm grout line. What do think?

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

Only a quick sketch but hope this helps...Gaz :)
Thats pretty much how I was going to do it Gaz, though I will be using REXs on the corners as Dave mentioned, and REs at the side edge of the tread as well.

The question is, if you have REXs on the corner, should the edge tile on the riser below be an RE to follow the line of the REX above, if you see what I mean. Would this cause a bit of a problem with having 2 REs at 90deg to each other from tread to riser because of the curved edge?

This sounds really complicated doesn't it when in reality it is really simple!

Starting to get a migraine!!!!!!!

Grumpy

G

GazTech

Thats pretty much how I was going to do it Gaz, though I will be using REXs on the corners as Dave mentioned, and REs at the side edge of the tread as well.

The question is, if you have REXs on the corner, should the edge tile on the riser below be an RE to follow the line of the REX above, if you see what I mean. Would this cause a bit of a problem with having 2 REs at 90deg to each other from tread to riser because of the curved edge?

This sounds really complicated doesn't it when in reality it is really simple!

Starting to get a migraine!!!!!!!

Grumpy
no because the RE edge one will seat under square edge of REX and create a lip, you may have to build step up and out to get full tiles in...Gaz

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to External concrete steps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.