Search the forum,

Discuss Expert advice needed! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Cherie

Good Evening Ladies & Gents!

Hope your all well and won’t mind me picking your brains, I’ll keep it as short as possible :-/
I had a building company undertake some flooring problems I had. I was having a new kitchen fitted and wanted my floor renewed and made strong. It’s a massive surface area. Half the floor concrete and the extension done in chipboard with floating batons.
Anyway they came out and I explained that I didn’t have the time to concrete the chipboard part and that I needed it to be a fixed baton floor with ply over the top so that we could tile onto it. My understanding was, that a floating floor with chipboard on top is a disaster waiting to happen. We have DPM and insulation underneath the chipboard so I explained that the baton would have to be applied around the perimeter walls.
So fast forward to today! They’re trying to charge me £1200 for a chipboard floating floor that I didn’t ask for! What’s more is, there’s not a tiler around that will guarantee their work on top as it has deflection??? (Hope that’s the right word) basically it’s bouncy. We’ve put down a layer of ply and screwed it down the best we can. The tiles have gone on top of it with a flexi adhesive. I just wanted your thoughts on it please, guys as I feel massively mugged off! I’ve refused to pay the £1200 as I feel it’s excessive for 8 sheets of chipboard, a few lengths of timber and 1.5 days work. Am I wrong? They are trying to take me to court but being a girl and having no clue about this stuff, I need some advice. They are saying any “experienced tiler “ would know what they were doing and that the floor meets its required purpose. I had two timers with a combined experience of 55 yrs and they both looked a bit pale when they quoted the job haha. Many thanks in advance for anything you add, much appreciated !!

D

Dumbo

Firstly do you have anything in writing as to what they said they were going to do or as to what you asked them to do and also anything in writing about price . If the floor bounces experienced tiler or not it will fail .

Reply to Expert advice needed! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I came across this forum searching for info so my first post. I'm renovating 1890's...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone. I'm after some advice with regard large format Tiles with water fed underfloor...
Replies
Views
Tiberiu Curelaru
T
Hello all, After years of abuse, the bathroom needed an overhaul from top to bottom. Out...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen