Search the forum,

Discuss Expert advice needed! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Cherie

Good Evening Ladies & Gents!

Hope your all well and won’t mind me picking your brains, I’ll keep it as short as possible :-/
I had a building company undertake some flooring problems I had. I was having a new kitchen fitted and wanted my floor renewed and made strong. It’s a massive surface area. Half the floor concrete and the extension done in chipboard with floating batons.
Anyway they came out and I explained that I didn’t have the time to concrete the chipboard part and that I needed it to be a fixed baton floor with ply over the top so that we could tile onto it. My understanding was, that a floating floor with chipboard on top is a disaster waiting to happen. We have DPM and insulation underneath the chipboard so I explained that the baton would have to be applied around the perimeter walls.
So fast forward to today! They’re trying to charge me £1200 for a chipboard floating floor that I didn’t ask for! What’s more is, there’s not a tiler around that will guarantee their work on top as it has deflection??? (Hope that’s the right word) basically it’s bouncy. We’ve put down a layer of ply and screwed it down the best we can. The tiles have gone on top of it with a flexi adhesive. I just wanted your thoughts on it please, guys as I feel massively mugged off! I’ve refused to pay the £1200 as I feel it’s excessive for 8 sheets of chipboard, a few lengths of timber and 1.5 days work. Am I wrong? They are trying to take me to court but being a girl and having no clue about this stuff, I need some advice. They are saying any “experienced tiler “ would know what they were doing and that the floor meets its required purpose. I had two timers with a combined experience of 55 yrs and they both looked a bit pale when they quoted the job haha. Many thanks in advance for anything you add, much appreciated !!

Reply to Expert advice needed! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays