Discuss Dural - Expansion joints ? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

tomo13

Hi, have I dreamt this or does using Dural / Ditra eliminate the need for expansion joints ? Customer looking at limestone but doesn't want any expansion strips. Is a concrete floor with UFH. Thanks.

O

On one

Wouldn't have said so.If the concrete slab has expansion joints in you need to follow that through the tiles

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Any expansion joints in the substrate still need to be replicated in the tiled surface.

If none then when areas exceed 40sqm they are required, and no area to exceed 8m in length without installing one.

M

m3fitter

This is correct.. but you'll find difference of opinions, i work for chartered architects and they all say different, i'm doing a church in newbury in September, and the architect states following expansion strips in line with the ones in the screed, with an 8mm expansion abutment at the perimeters, and then i'm working for an chartered architect in Kingston on a new build, and he states that ditra alleviates the need for expansion joints, note: they are both chartered ( which should mean the same standard )
rule of thumb: If there are expansion joints in the screed, follow then on the tile surface. full stop, if not, expansion on the tile surface only, will do nothing, or play safe and use expansion every 5m linear or through doorways with ditra. in a domestic instance, expansion joints look unsightly, in a commercial instance, it is a grey purchase, ie: its what has to be because the architect spec'd it.

T

tomo13

So does the membrane have to have a join where the joints are or go over then a joint in the tiles where the joint was ?

M

m3fitter

So does the membrane have to have a join where the joints are or go over then a joint in the tiles where the joint was ?

No because you are creating a floating floor, in lateral movement, therefore the screed takes care of itself, and your floating floor moves independently, it decouples

T

tomo13

Are we talking expansion trims or a silicone joint or something else ? Its going to be brick bond, so would run through the tile top to bottom not along a joint, not going to look nice really. looking at the screed today, all there is are lines in the screed about a disc blade width, surely it should of been bigger than that and with something in it if it was going to do any good ? Any photos of your previous would be nice to see.

M

Mr Tiler

This is correct.. but you'll find difference of opinions, i work for chartered architects and they all say different, i'm doing a church in newbury in September, and the architect states following expansion strips in line with the ones in the screed, with an 8mm expansion abutment at the perimeters, and then i'm working for an chartered architect in Kingston on a new build, and he states that ditra alleviates the need for expansion joints, note: they are both chartered ( which should mean the same standard )
rule of thumb: If there are expansion joints in the screed, follow then on the tile surface. full stop, if not, expansion on the tile surface only, will do nothing, or play safe and use expansion every 5m linear or through doorways with ditra. in a domestic instance, expansion joints look unsightly, in a commercial instance, it is a grey purchase, ie: its what has to be because the architect spec'd it.

I watched a programme online about the stone masons who built the churches in this country... they basically used the same principle as ditra matting but with sand that is how they were able to make such floors. they didn't need the expansion joints for there floors so why would we need them on ditra? real question not being sarcastic if t seems that way sorry

S

SJPurdy

Quoting from Dural Special advise leaflet; "The matting MUST be split at the movement joint"

O

On one

Do you mean the concrete has been laid,cured and someone has Stihl sawed a line/cut in the screed?
Is it possible for the expansion joint to placed under a door? ie to less intrusive

T

tomo13

Do you mean the concrete has been laid,cured and someone has Stihl sawed a line/cut in the screed?
Is it possible for the expansion joint to placed under a door? ie to less intrusive

Yeah looks just like that, is that normal ? I'm trying to find a way to get a copy of the plans on here so I could get some opinions of where to put them ?

T

The D

Ditra / Dura is NOT a replacement for an expansion joint it is a crack isolation mat and allows only 3mm of lateral movement. If there is an expansion joint in the sub- floor you must follow with an expansion joint in the tile.

Reply to Dural - Expansion joints ? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks