Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Dunlop Wall Tile Grout with Porcelain in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

NJD1977

Hi

Hope you can help. I employed a local tiler to do by bathroom with large format 600x300 Porcelain glazed tiles (9mm thick). He has finished the job and all looks great. He recommended I seal the grout so I bought some sealer...........then the worries began...............I asked him for the spec of the grout he had used so I could check compatibility of the sealer and he advised me he had used a Dunlop Wall Tile Grout CG1 in white. When I visited the Dunlop website they recommend a Flexible tile grout for Porcelain tiles to aid adhesion to the tile edges. I rang the Dunlop helpline and he advised that the basic CG1 wall tile grout is not recommended for Porcelain tiles without a flexible additive being added.

The grouted joints are 3mm and are showing no signs of lack of adhesion - they look very solid/full indeed and have been like that for 3 weeks now. There seems to be a lot of other CG1 compliant grouts on the market that advise they are suitable for use on Porcelain tiles.......in fact Dunlop are one of the few that seem to suggest their CG1 basic grout isn't suitable for Porcelain tiles.

The tiler has held his hands up and said, if he has used the wrong grout then it's his fault, although he said he's never had any problems from other customers using this same grout with porcelain tiles (this is just anecodtal though).

As the bathroom is now all finished, I have a huge dilemma - do I insist he rakes all the grout out and potentially damage existing tiles / bathroom fittings / ceiling etc. or can I assume the CG1 grout will be ok and press ahead with sealing.

Obviously the latter option is the preferred, but I don't know what long term risk this poses to the grout.

Many thanks for any advice / experiences on the subject.

Neil

R

Rookery

You definitely need a grout that is polymer modified to use with porcelain - IE CG2. I don't believe a CG1 would be appropriate. If I were you and as you're happy with the job, I'd leave it as it is but get a written assurance from the tiler that he'll come back and re-grout at some point in the future if the grout begins to fail. In the meantime I'd apply some grout sealer.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes he should have use modified grout ....are you likely to get any problems. ...imo chances are slim you will encounter any issues just check for hair line cracks where the grout meets the tile..

Reply to Dunlop Wall Tile Grout with Porcelain in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks