Discuss New grout much lighter than sample, what options do I have? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Lucy28

-
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have redone the tiles (porcelain ones) in the kitchen. The grout used, BAL Micromax3 Eco, has turned out to be quite lighter than the sample in store, creating an unwanted effect.

Tiler say there is nothing I can do now, besides removing the grout (risking to damage the tiles). He advised against dye them or using a grout pen.

I just would like a second opinion - is there really no good options out there?

I feel very stupid as I should have had the tiler produce a sample to see the final result rather than just relying on the store sample. Anyway, damage is done...

Thank you so much in advance,

Lucy

Tiberiu

TF
Reaction score
The only way to correct the wrong colour is to remove the old grout. You can achieve this using a multitool with a diamond blade

Lucy28

-
Reaction score
The only way to correct the wrong colour is to remove the old grout. You can achieve this using a multitool with a diamond blade

I have been told by my tiler that, because gap is 2mm, there is a good chance to ruin the tiles by using a multitool. How do you feel about grout colourants (the ones I know are Mapei Fuga Fresca, Universal Grout Rescue) ? Area that needs retouching is not very big, 1.50x1.80m , tiles 20x20cm

Lucy28

-
Reaction score

I also read that Grout enhancer sealer may be an option? It seems this product could darken the grout giving a permanent "wet effect". Incidentally, when my grout is wet, it is are exactly the colour I would love it to be...

Kastar UK

Arms
Reaction score
I have been told by my tiler that, because gap is 2mm, there is a good chance to ruin the tiles by using a multitool. How do you feel about grout colourants (the ones I know are Mapei Fuga Fresca, Universal Grout Rescue) ? Area that needs retouching is not very big, 1.50x1.80m , tiles 20x20cm
Only way is a hand held grit grout rake and then still need to be careful , would need to remove a few mm depth,
can use tapes , masking etc to protect tiles
Wouldnt go near it with a mutli tool room full of damaged tiles

Reply to New grout much lighter than sample, what options do I have? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks