Discuss dunlop flexible rapid set failures in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
hi fellow tilers i just want to know if any other tilers have had failures while using dunlop single part flexible rapid set (white)...i have been tiling for 23 yrs and have had a big failure on a job while using this....anyone else had any oproblems...cheers for reading...look forward to some feedback

Reaction score
whats the problem ? :pete
problem is that a vast ammount of the tiles have blown....spoke to builder and he assures me the under floor heating wasnt whacked up to full and was gradually turned up(well thats what he has told me i cant proove this)......i have never had a problem before.....so if he is telling the truth the only other thing is the adhesive.........have mentioned it in shop i get most of my materials from and they refuse to stock it as they have had complaints....rang BAL they deny any knowledge of problems.....bottom line is that i could go bust over this......cheers ofr reply pete

G

grumpygrouter

I have never used dunlop adhesives, and with stories like this I don't know whether I should or not. Is this just an isolated case?

Reaction score
I use this quite a bit doing limestone and marble. Had a failure with it, did the job about 2 years ago onto existing ceramic tiles. Had to go back a few weeks ago to change a few of the porcelain I laid as they had smashed. Took up the tiles and the adhesive just crumbled in my hands, fell off of the back of the tiles and lifted straight off the floor. I sent samples away to BAL to be tested, but haven't heard back yet. If you get no joy with them go to Ceram research. There is an inherant problem in trying to mix white adhesive at the factory, lost count of times I had to throw not only bags but pallets away due to the mix being wrong and the stuff going off as fast as you could mix it.
cheers i am going to have to get the NTA involved and see if they can help....fanx for reply

Reaction score
whats the size of the floor ?
floor is about 106m2......600x600 porcelain.......the client is a total mare so alot of cost will involve kitchen being taken out as he is not likely to allow me to chop back to kickboards..same goes for all skirtings/architraves....this is the whole of ground floor bar 3 rooms...i was trying to do the right thing by the actual builder who provides a good 60-70% of my work...all large prestigious luxury homes.....but now i have realised this could cost me my business i no longer see why i should take the blame.......if it is a fixing problem i will hold my hands up....but as never had this happend like this before i dont understand.

D

DHTiling

Not telling you how to suck eggs here...but did you leave perimeter joints and expansion joints within the project...?

Also what depth of bed did you apply....?

P

P'boro tiler

im sure its an adhesive failure. take a step back and think about it. youve never had a failure. if you did do something wrong (like poor fixing technique) then it would of only affected a few tiles! im sure its not your fault!
also, i tiled a 16m2 floor with grey dunlop set fast flexi and had to replace one tile due to not noticing a scratch. when i removed it i found it hadnt bonded to the tile well and crumbled off. i mixed it up plenty wet enough and had 100% coverage (till it crumbled off). ive never had this problem before and thank god i learnt the stuffs poor quality on a small job!!!
i pretty much only use mapei stuff now

Reaction score
Not telling you how to suck eggs here...but did you leave perimeter joints and expansion joints within the project...?

Also what depth of bed did you apply....?
yes dave i did ...the tiles where fixed to a 12mm bed.....incidently i have since been back to project to change some tiles before client moved in ..and tiles i replaced with different adhesives are sound as a pound

S

Sully

You rang BAL and 'they deny any knowledge of problems'. I would have thought as a matter of course they would at least test a sample or send out one of their technicians on site? Did you not request this?

As for the underfloor heating / screed substrate. I'd be taking a closer look at these elements too. I think you need an on site visit and should insist on one.

As for the other failure mentioned - tile on tile. I'd personally only use a two part on the rare occassion that I'd be comfortable doing tile on tile. Any SPF is a risk in this situation - my opinion anyway.

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Perry

yes dave i did ...the tiles where fixed to a 12mm bed.....incidently i have since been back to project to change some tiles before client moved in ..and tiles i replaced with different adhesives are sound as a pound
was that a 12mm trowel or a 12mm bed ?

Reply to dunlop flexible rapid set failures in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks