Search the forum,

Discuss dotting and dabbing will cost you money in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

my company has picked up work from a new builder recently after their regular tiler started getting failures on his floor tiling, all large format work with very expensive materials ,one job we were asked to look at is a 1200x800 porcelain floor on a wet system ufh the tiles were fitted using a 6mm notched trowel and 5 dobs of adhesive and there is less than 40% coverage on the back of the tiles,the whole floor has started to fail and the tiler is now being taken to court for the cost of new flooring ,
we also went to another of the guys jobs last week ,again large format porcelain to replace some loose tiles ,this floor is also starting to fail and again the same method of fixing was used ,
The moral of the story is get as close to a solid bed as possible and use the correct materials or you could be paying out tens of thousands of pounds

W

White Room

Surly the tiler has some idea how to lay a tile, how long had this guy been fixing tiles.To dot and fix on large format or any other tile is just crazy.

S

Spud

Surly the tiler has some idea how to lay a tile, how long had this guy been fixing tiles.To dot and fix on large format or any other tile is just crazy.
The tiler has 30 yrs expand does lots of high end work , he has offered to restick any loose tiles but refuses to change his fixing method thats why the builder dropped him and came to us .

W

White Room

The tiler has 30 yrs expand does lots of high end work , he has offered to restick any loose tiles but refuses to change his fixing method thats why the builder dropped him and came to us .

At the end of the day he will still continue with fixing with dabs as he's been doing it for 30 years, that is so fustrating

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hard to change the old timers ways in a lot of trades............even when things do go belly up:mad2:

Too many think they know best :incazzato::yikes:

D

doug boardley

not the best situation to get work Gary, but, if the other guy refuses to budge on his fixing methods, then let somebody that's gonna do the job right have a crack at it:thumbsup:

S

stevee

i got a call last week from distressd lady ,her tiler had ballsed it up round the window and refused to awnser the phone/come back and finish

porcalona/tec spanish quite heavy

when i got the there i could c there was no addy showing on the side,pulled the top 3 off to find this,dot & dab

also dodgy cut round window

Attachments

• 30112009121.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 55
  • 30112009122.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 130.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:
M

mikethetile

well won gary

the problem with this other chap is that he works in isolation and doessnt have the benefit of continious on job learning

this forum is ideal to keep your knowledge current

maybe you can save him from bankruptcy by reccomending this site to him

S

Spud

As I said the guy wont listen, shame really as I dont like to see any one lose money especially when its easliy avoided :thumbsup:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I must take exeption, on remarks about old timers, I am an " old timer" and I make a point of keeping up to date on latest fixing methods. I have recently surveyed a dot and dab job. He was a young fixer. Bad practice is not about age, but ignorance. They call me Half a mill Phil, thinking they are taking the mick. but I am proud of my nickname. (There is a funny story about its origin.:thumbsup:

Reply to dotting and dabbing will cost you money in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen