Search the forum,

Discuss Dot And Dabbing At Its Best. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The best thing was that if any bedding out was to be done. It would have been the bottom of the wall!
They made a wall that was out of level, even more out of level. Probably started off out of plumb, then carried on from there.:D

Might put this refurb into Octobers jotm, if there is one.

Reaction score
sorry for adding my six pence late
looking at the pictures , the tiles seem to be of a brown/biscuit and in my experience, these tiles are a nightmare to fix, fix a tile on and let it stay for a minute, pull it off and adhesive has stuck to the tile.
put it back on let it stay on for 15 minutes and pull it off again and the tile comes off clean, no adhesive on it at all!!
I've taken to priming the back of these types of tiles, also spreading adhesive on both wall and tile.
while dot and dabbing is professionally ok. to do and if the there's a problem you'll never win a battle saying that the tiles were properly stuck.

O

On one

So if I'm reading right D&D tiles in a wet area,large format porcelain tiles and on floor tiles is professionally ok?

Reaction score
sorry i was just generalizing that dot and dab was a method, it shouldn't be used in wet areas.
having said that, in theory if done properly, on surfaces that don't move, settle. so water can't get in behind tiles then there should be not reason why dot and dab couldn't work

O

One Day

sorry i was just generalizing that dot and dab was a method, it shouldn't be used in wet areas.
having said that, in theory if done properly, on surfaces that don't move, settle. so water can't get in behind tiles then there should be not reason why dot and dab couldn't work

Oooh! Controversial!
BS5385 ("the" standard) states that it's not a suitable fixing method.
Yet go back 40+ years and it was. PJ tiler - who many here know - he fixed tiles to the CIS building in Manchester using d&d and they're still up there. Think it was the late 60's.

IF - (big IF) you don't exceed the depth at which a cement adhesive will weaken, and IF you get good enough coverage - then all reasonable tilers on here would say, OK it'll work.

The question remains: if your walls and floors are so bad you need to d&d then you're doing it wrong before you even begin! I would always sort out before tiling so that I can spread, comb and stick. Easy, fast (SAFE) and profitable.

We all bed up and build out a bit now and again but let's keep it sensible eh?! ;)

S

Spud

I know a builder who took a tiler to court for dotting and dabbing tiles at a premiership footballers house , the tiles were 1.2 x1.2 builder got an expert in from the T.T.A in to act as an expert witness , the court was told by the expert that dotting and dabbing tiles wouldn't solely cause a failure and the builder lost the case

Reply to Dot And Dabbing At Its Best. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys have a big gap above tray to fill 2cm high 1cm deep (3/4in x 1/2in) Any suggestions...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen