Search the forum,

Discuss Dot And Dabbing At Its Best. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Italy

sorry for adding my six pence late
looking at the pictures , the tiles seem to be of a brown/biscuit and in my experience, these tiles are a nightmare to fix, fix a tile on and let it stay for a minute, pull it off and adhesive has stuck to the tile.
put it back on let it stay on for 15 minutes and pull it off again and the tile comes off clean, no adhesive on it at all!!
I've taken to priming the back of these types of tiles, also spreading adhesive on both wall and tile.
while dot and dabbing is professionally ok. to do and if the there's a problem you'll never win a battle saying that the tiles were properly stuck.
I still think that I am wrong I work :(

Reaction score
sorry for hijacking this thread. can i ask for opinions out there on laying slate, years ago i was laying 1-2 kitchen floors a week in slate , and with variations of 1/2 inch of thickness i D&D all of these floors , and never had a single callback using this method, if i'd solid filled those floors i would have only got about 1.5 m2 to 20kg bag of adhesive over here in N.Ireland people wouldn't have paid the extra

D

dave l and l

maybe self level room.or run it slightly of the level.
there must be plenty big voids under the floor tiles, especially slate as it can be quite soft

F

Flintstone

In the real world, and when working on old houses and refurb bathrooms for builders etc, you get bad walls and your gonna need to build them out in places which means adding some dabs! I always use the notch trowel on the wall and butter the back of the tile if dabs are neeeed, add them to the tile. You can't do no more. But there is a limit ofcourse

W

WetSaw

Loads of the apartments thrown up over here just have one big blob of mortar and their butted up, no grout gap. Loads of failures now!

Reaction score
just to clarify the floors were usually level, and the slate tiles were usually 300x300 and with up to 1/2 difference in thickness i didn't sort through the tiles, laying all thick tiles together same with thin tiles, also D&D was each corner and one in the centre so not too big a gap between dabs, also the thin tiles were bedded up so the overall top surface was flat, no trips, with at around 15mm joints, the Chinese didn't always cut their tiles the same size or square

E

EdinTiler

Hi Dave. Trouble is that d&d is like using a hosepipe in the wind, it's always going to come back at you at some point. Especially with ufh. I screed over the top of ufh as a matter of coarse. As for the tiles, if you're using an adhesive that's appropriate and can be bedded up with manufacturers recommendations then he should have had no need to d&d. I use an adhesive that lets me bed up to 20mm on floors and I wouldn't have thought that there'd be that much of a discrepancy between the tiles.
Also, if the ufh has been turned on too soon after insulation then this can cause similar problems. Again, adhesive manufacturers recommendations should have been read prior to installation. All sortable though so that's good.
EdinTiler.
Cheers

Reply to Dot And Dabbing At Its Best. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys have a big gap above tray to fill 2cm high 1cm deep (3/4in x 1/2in) Any suggestions...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen