Search the forum,

Discuss dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiles

I came across a tiler the other day when working on site and he was laying wall tiles using the dot and dab technique - if you can call it a technique that is!!!!!!!

Surely this cannot be right???

Must be a rogue tiler???

Anyone got any thoughts on this ???

G

GazTech

dot and dab, (known as spot fixing method), is not recognised within the industry. More often than not it leads to failure.....Gaz

W

wetdec

Yet on a regular basis we remove perfectly sound tiles secured by the old fashioned method of spot fixing....... strange times we live in.

tiler

P

pjtiler

spot fixing was common place back in the sixty /seventy's when adhesive was just coming in
in fact Richarfix (the 1st wall adhesive used in Manchester i believe ) recommended the methered
some of the jobs i did using spot fixing are still there and looking good after 40 odd years ,and im not taking of the odd bathroom
how times have changed

G

grumpygrouter

Maybe it is because modern houses are built using moisture sensitive materials like plasterboard now. Back in the old days the were brick/block/concrete, neither were showers very popular then. Certainly not power showers.

P

pjtiler

Maybe it is because modern houses are built using moisture sensitive materials like plasterboard now. Back in the old days the were brick/block/concrete, neither were showers very popular then. Certainly not power showers.

aye thats one of the reasons no doubt although back in them days i didn't work on houses

serrated trowels not being invented could have something to do with it would,nt you say

W

wetdec

Where would all the marketing people be now if it had carried on, you cant really write cutting edge bal literature on how spotting is the future can you :lol:

tiler

Reply to dot and dab in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen