Search the forum,

Discuss Ditra on Anhydrite in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mark S

Everyone knows the correct prep for Anydrite screeds by now hopefully, sand and prime if using cement based flexible adhesives, sand and Kerakoll H40 Ideal, or the Creative Impressions version GBTA, I believe Kerakoll do a de-coupling nat so maybe worth contacting them.
I always think its best to try where possible to stick to 1 manufacturer
Mark S, Technical and Specification Manager, Gyvlon Ltd

G

Gazzer

Everyone knows the correct prep for Anydrite screeds by now hopefully, sand and prime if using cement based flexible adhesives, sand and Kerakoll H40 Ideal, or the Creative Impressions version GBTA, I believe Kerakoll do a de-coupling nat so maybe worth contacting them.

But Mark this is about what adhesive to use to stick the Ditra to an Anhydrite screed. Do any of those adhesive stick the Ditra?

D

DHTiling

the issue is that as we (the binder suppliers) do not make the adhesives so we have no control and cannot take responsibility for how their gear is tested or how it performs. The best we can do is test the adhesives ourselves which has often been done. we are forced by the contracts and legislation that bind us to make relatively vague and wooly comments. i have advocated the use of gypsum adhesives for quite some time and am aware of very few failures where they have been used.

It is also unreasonable to say a cement adhesive wont work because here are lots of cases when it works fine. The majority of issues come when a tiler or a builder miss out a crucial bit e.g missing out joints, forgetting to moisture test, ignoring dust and dirt on the screed, failing to prep or a combination of all.

That is the same for gypsum adhesives as well though..

Yes gypsum to gypsum is the more attractive route but adhesive comps are ripping the industry off with the prices they are charging.. material costs are no more for gypsum or cement IMO.. so why do they rip us off.?

D

Dougs Third Go

That is the same for gypsum adhesives as well though..

Yes gypsum to gypsum is the more attractive route but adhesive comps are ripping the industry off with the prices they are charging.. material costs are no more for gypsum or cement IMO.. so why do they rip us off.?
because (imo) if we don't pay, we get no comeback:incazzato:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
if you make the screed why dont you make a tile adhesive for it as well ?

Thats my point Gary we don't make the screed. We just make the binder which is the "cement" bit. We (Francis flower) do supply quite a number of adhesive manufacturers as well though.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

would that it were true Mark that everyone knows the correct prep. I think it's fair to say most reputable and responsible tilers take the trouble to research it. The problem is not always the tilers though. There is some merit in the suggestion of using a pressure sensitive adhesive similar to those used for vinyl but I don't know of any specific research done by any of the adhesive manufacturers to ratify this.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
But Mark this is about what adhesive to use to stick the Ditra to an Anhydrite screed. Do any of those adhesive stick the Ditra?

i have seen both used successfully although it is fair to say I have seen a few issues where the h40ideal has been used to stick ditra to a primed screed... David Howe was one such case.

D

Dougs Third Go

is there a rapid set gypsum adhesive?, I've always used rapid set for ditra/uncouplers just for the reason that if you need to pull a tile your're not going to pull the mat up too. I remember Dave having issues with, I think, kerakoll addy and uncoupling mat.

G

Gazzer

is there a rapid set gypsum adhesive?, I've always used rapid set for ditra/uncouplers just for the reason that if you need to pull a tile your're not going to pull the mat up too. I remember Dave having issues with, I think, kerakoll addy and uncoupling mat.

Gypfix is 3 -4 hours

D

DHTiling

Mmmmm :(

Reply to Ditra on Anhydrite in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen