Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Customer From Hell in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Just need to share this, I am working for a female engineer, she is doing my head in, I think I might cut my losses and pull off the job.

To cut a long story short, she engaged me to tile a wet room, a bathroom, a kitchen floor in slate, and a ground floor Cloaks.

I have been on the job a couple of weeks, it is a new build, there are no toilet facilities, but we are used to that, even though it is against the law, we make do.

On Friday the plumber fitted the first working toilet he had a text from her saying do not let anyone use the toilet, as was for her only.

We are just building trade scum (not her words, but mine) are we animals? who don't deserve the basic respect most people would expect?

She sent me a text early Sat morning showing her toilet with poo in it, suggesting me my lads, or the plumber where the culprits, none of us where guilty, the kitchen fitters where in Sat morning.

She has now decided to pick holes in my work, she is not happy with the mitres, or the trim, even though I gave her the choice of different trims. I will post some pics.

Attachments

• k1.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 206
  • k2.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 212
  • k3.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 205
  • k4.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 210
  • k5.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 206
  • k6.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 199
  • k7.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 207
Q

Qwerty

Looks tidy as ever Phil. Shame the "culprit" photo wasn't included ;)
I hate customers like this, it makes for such an awkward situation.
I hope she sees sense

G

Gazzer

Not overly liking the trim but if that is what she went for then its not your fault .
Its a crazy world when someone picks up on the smallest of things yet that other thread by Sparkle and she things it can be resolved !

W

White Room

I do feel some of these "people" think were at the bottom of the ladder and many times they try and ridicule as a power lust....I'm the customer and I'm allways right.

Had the same with toilet issues on a large job and the owner was "helping me", sometimes 6-7 guys on the job in the middle of nowhere, could've at least rented a portable:mad2:

Lovely work by the way Phil, perhaps she should get herself down to specsavers.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Awful Phil - I mean her choice of floor tiles, clearly nothing wrong with the quality of the work.

Only thing I would say is the bond in the window, I know it matches floor, but my preference would have been random, don't like it myself, but I'm guessing that was her choice!!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I do feel some of these "people" think were at the bottom of the ladder and many times they try and ridicule as a power lust....I'm the customer and I'm allways right.

Had the same with toilet issues on a large job and the owner was "helping me", sometimes 6-7 guys on the job in the middle of nowhere, could've at least rented a portable:mad2:

Lovely work by the way Phil, perhaps she should get herself down to specsavers.

Did the customer use a stick to poke the large job Mark?

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
nice work phil, are the planks from fired earth?

i also find a lot of these people think trades are the scum of the earth, generally i bite my lip on these jobs and at the end of the estimated job cost add on a lump sum for the extra materials i had to use. give them a taste of there own medicine they so easily dish out!

T

Time's Ran Out

We know they are out there but it is always a setback when they rear their ugly head!
A case of getting paid then putting her in her place with a few choice words of advice.
Hope it works out ok.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You seem to have done alot of work there phil to just walk away, would she pay you for whats been completed. .? If not I would keep her sweet, get some money out of her then just tell her you feel this working relationship isn't working and suggest she finds someone else to finish the job.

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
great job as allways phil , i dont like the trim , but not your choice, stick it out get ya money , then let ripp , best advice i can give

J

jonnyc

what finish would you haven chosen for external corners if she had let you chose.
sometimes phil you can never win .
just need one little thing to go wrong and then clients are all over you.
in this instance you have not even been wrong in first instance.
if it was me and i would bite my lip, at least until cleared monies in.
the biggest problems i have had with payments are from clients who i have argued with!!
it felt good to say my piece at the time but long term cost me loads.
i have less patience as i get older but i have got a bit wiser

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

Finish up what you have priced up to do and give her the bill, it must be silly season as I have the most fussy customer I have encountered in many years at the moment

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

It's getting worse nurse, this woman is a real whack job. I will be meeting her Wed am. whether I come out OK or get arrested, who knows?

I could do without this crap atm.

Definitely a true nutter.:mad2:

D

Deleted member 9966

if you're able to sit down when you meet with her Phil, sit on your hands. that will stop you wanting and being able to throttle her, and it will make you look non-confrontational :smilewinkgrin:

Reply to Customer From Hell in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks