Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss cost of fixing fired earth tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jonnyc

pricing up a job where 5 bathrooms have the fired earth 75 x 150 crackle tiles called metropolitan lancaster gate.
glazed face with raised centre panel.
all bathrooms approx 20.00 sq mts floor to ceiling.
what would be the going labour rate per sq mt for doing a quality job working in london.
not difficult to fix .just dont do this sort of stuff nowasdays amnd dont want to overcharge a repeat client.

B

bugs183

As you say these tiles though not difficult to fix will take a while due to the size.
I've just googled them and they are not cheap, so i'm sure they want a lovely job done.
I'd be tempted to go with a day rate price on this, what do you think you can do in a day with these, 10m2??
Do you need to pay for parking as well or is the client sorting this for you??

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
pricing up a job where 5 bathrooms have the fired earth 75 x 150 crackle tiles called metropolitan lancaster gate.
glazed face with raised centre panel.
all bathrooms approx 20.00 sq mts floor to ceiling.
what would be the going labour rate per sq mt for doing a quality job working in london.
not difficult to fix .just dont do this sort of stuff nowasdays amnd dont want to overcharge a repeat client.

Not sure of the going rate in London, but I have a feeling these will also need to be sealed, you may need to check and build that into your quote.

J

jonnyc

yes i will be sealing tiles and grout with kf stainstop.
what would you charge up your way

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
if you can do 10m2 a day, up my way i would go in at £25 @ m2 so down london im sure you can had a tenner on that imo, i may be wrong , good luck hope it works out either way

P

Pebbs

Thats a lot of tiles per m2 John, you know what I am going to say, if its a private job, then you know better than me on that front, if its for a contractor dont forget to build you 7.5% into your price.

Lynn

J

jonnyc

Think i will go in with the price I first thought of and see what happens.
if I don't get it then no worries.
i know how to price fixing stone in the high end of domestic market in London for good quality workmanship.
this work is very easy but time consuming .
would Be a nice change

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I think Rob is about right there dependant on any prep work I think between £25-£27 per m

S

Spud

those prices are too cheap you have to remember jonny has a ltd company and greater overheads than a solo tiler or a small contractor if you think 25 is correct he would need to add in materials and at least 30 % top to cover his business expenses and make a small margin add to that customer dont choose his company on price its on quality so i would say you would need to be in the high thirties

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
those prices are too cheap you have to remember jonny has a ltd company and greater overheads than a solo tiler or a small contractor if you think 25 is correct he would need to add in materials and at least 30 % top to cover his business expenses and make a small margin add to that customer dont choose his company on price its on quality so i would say you would need to be in the high thirties

He asked for labour only Gary

T

Time's Ran Out

Wouldn't have thought it could be done on metre rate in London - travel time, congestion charges, parking, cost of living, higher fuel costs , London waiting, - just to mention a few! Be surprised if it doesn't all come in at £1000 per room ( £50mt) and 3 days each = £350 ish per day.

W

White Room

If your van is older than an 04 you will hit with emissions tag which I believe to be £100 a day....

P

Pebbs

The emissions thing is not the clients concern in all fairness whitebeam, Jonny work it backwards onto your day rate, calculate realistically how many m2 a day you can comfortably do, and then divide it. Then add your overheads and blah de blah blah blah. That way if you get the work, you wont be in a panic. Timeless, even if you may think the streets down here are paved with gold, show me a client who will pay £100.00m2 for this type of tiling, and I'll knock the stone and marble on the head and change over to ceramics being our main trade. If Jonny goes in pricing that high, I think he will be laughed out of the picture so to speak.

Lynn

J

jonnyc

well i stuck to my instinct and what i first thought and it was £50.00 per sq mt labour only.
we will see what happens.
i think some of you guys who are used to notching a wall and putting up many metres in a day would do very well out of that price.
there is not much else you can do with small tiles like these.
my company does mainly stone and when we do porcelain it is always solid bed and we plumb walls and level floors .
i actaully know the client as we used to play squash in similar leagues and have done few jobs in past for him with no queries on cost but it was marble and stone.
difference this time is that his builder asked me for a quote to tile porcelain on house in same road and he said i was way too expensive.
there is 60.00 sq mts of limestone in kitchen /utility as well which i will certainly do , so i am not worried if the bathrooms are taken away from me, but would be nice if could do a whole package for him.
sounds like for the 100 sq mts of metro wall tiles i could be between £1000 -£ 2000 more than a competitor but ultimately client can take his choice.
he knows me well from previous work so will be interesting to see if he thinks i am worth the extra dosh.
i will keep you informed

Reply to cost of fixing fired earth tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks