Currently reading:
Cleaning stains from grey porcelain floor tiles

Discuss Cleaning stains from grey porcelain floor tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sarah_louise_b

My builder has just laid some black grey tiles in my bathroom, they are almost a slate effect
the make is unicom starker, porcelain tiles.

When the builder left I went to clean the floor, there is a large mark across the tiles near the door as if something has been spilt on them (?dirty water from the grouting), it looks a dirty, ive tried floor cleaner, tile cleaner, wipes, washing up liqiud and I cant make it look any better.

My builder has gone to Austraila for 6 weeks so I cant ask his advice, and my lovely new bathroom is not so lovely.

does anyone have any advice on what can be used to clean these tiles?

S

sarah_louise_b

normal.jpg

1b.jpg

mark1.jpg

mark2.jpg

I hope these work:smilewinkgrin:
the first one is how most of the tiles look (i.e. no marks)
the other three are pics of the marks.

thankyou!!

T

Terry Cottar

Sarah

Be careful with MN Builders Clean just test a small area first to see if it works. Read the directions thoroughly prior to using. Make sure you wear good quality gloves and that the room is ventilated as the acid in MN is almost odourless. Start by Pouring a little on the floor in the worst affected area and try a test area first. If it works fine then carry on. If it doesn't post back and we will help you further.

tel

E

enduro

I would use Aqua Mix Phosphoric Acid cleaner for this problem.

1. Allow newly grouted installations to cure for a minimum of 10 days.
2. Always test a small area first to insure satisfactory results.
3. Sweep or vacuum the area.
4. Pre-wet surface with water.
5. Mix 1 part cleaner to 5 parts water.
6. Apply solution onto a manageable area of up to 1 m2, do not allow solution to dry.
7. Allow to dwell 1-2 minutes.
8. Agitate with a scrub brush or white nylon pad.
9. Mop up dirty solution.
10. Rinse thoroughly with clean water agitating with a scrub brush to ensure removal of cleaning agents and acid.
11. Repeat procedure if necessary.

www.tradetiler.com sells it

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Terry Cottar

I would use Aqua Mix Phosphoric Acid cleaner for this problem.

1. Allow newly grouted installations to cure for a minimum of 10 days.
2. Always test a small area first to insure satisfactory results.
3. Sweep or vacuum the area.
4. Pre-wet surface with water.
5. Mix 1 part cleaner to 5 parts water.
6. Apply solution onto a manageable area of up to 1 m2, do not allow solution to dry.
7. Allow to dwell 1-2 minutes.
8. Agitate with a scrub brush or white nylon pad.
9. Mop up dirty solution.
10. Rinse thoroughly with clean water agitating with a scrub brush to ensure removal of cleaning agents and acid.
11. Repeat procedure if necessary.

www.tradetiler.com sells it

Andrew

Great Advice as usual! The only issue I have is that if the grout is modified the polymers will have to be broken down first to allow the Phos Acid to get at the cementitious properties would you not agree?

tel

D

DHTiling

Sarah

Be careful with MN Builders Clean just test a small area first to see if it works. Read the directions thoroughly prior to using. Make sure you wear good quality gloves and that the room is ventilated as the acid in MN is almost odourless. Start by Pouring a little on the floor in the worst affected area and try a test area first. If it works fine then carry on. If it doesn't post back and we will help you further.

tel

THat i agree on..builders clean isn't one of my favs... a bit harsh..

Reply to Cleaning stains from grey porcelain floor tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.