Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Can you tile a shower & grout the same day? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mikedavey

Thanks for all your feedback...........

Well i guess i've cocked up my first job because i didn't prime the walls before tiling. They are freshly plastered walls. I used rapid adhesive on all 10 splashbacks.

I did use prime on the wall ready to tile the corner shower for monday, although it wasn't WP1, i was recommended this stuff from FOCUS, it was for plaster but seemed to be primer you would use prior to painting only.!!!???

So tell me how long will my splashbacks stay on for? Not long i fear.

Guess i won't get any more work from this guy again................Pity as he gets a lot of work.

:mad2:

S

scottish tiler

just becouse it says you have to wait 24hrs dosnt mean you need to, say you had 2 m2 to tile in the middle of a plain wall, are you going to tile it and *** back the next day to grout it?, and for the past 9 years that i started my trade every tiler i have worked with would agree with me on this subject

G

grumpygrouter

You may be right with a couple of square metres of kitchen splashback, though I would suggest that the majority of contributors on here would generally disagree with you on this topic. I certainly wouldn't grout same day if it was a full wall using tub adhesive. Might "just" consider it if it was very small format tiles as there would be lots of area for evaporation during the day, and it was a long way to go back "just" for grouting. Though there is the subsequent silicone application to consider too.

Grumpy
Grumpy

D

DHTiling

The best way if you know you have to be finished in the same day is to use a fast setting adhesive..bs 5385 states dispersion adhesive's require a minimum of 24hrs sometimes longer depending on the substrate and tile format.....alot of fixers will tile and grout the same day as we know but the correct way is to do as mentioned...hope this helps.......

P

penno

Sometimes you just can't come back and grout the next day. If it is for instance a small splashback and the walls are done for midday then i just pop off for a butty and return a few hours later to grout.

Something like a showered area though i always give it until the next day.

D

DHTiling

..If you know you have to be finished the same day then why use a dispersion adhesive....surely it is correct practice to use a fast setting cement based product....no cutting corners and a job done in a day....
So following bsi guide lines is the way to go.....:yes:

P

penno

..If you know you have to be finished the same day then why use a dispersion adhesive....surely it is correct practice to use a fast setting cement based product....no cutting corners and a job done in a day....
So following bsi guide lines is the way to go.....:yes:

Well i had half a tub of blue star in the van and it was a very small splashback just behind the cooker, i know i shouldn't :(

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we all know that if we did anything that could be done in a day and there's no chance of leaving it for the next day to grout as you're not going to be anywhere near that job again for weeks then you'd do your best and grout it. If you knew that was the case though you should have perhaps used cement based adhesive.

But if you're fixing any tile more than 200 x 200mm's and anything more than half a decent wall you're running a risk of grouting up too early if you do it the same day, and it should really be left.

The adhesive guys can tell if a job fails due to a dispersion adhesive being grouted to early and providing you're ok with guaranteeing the job yourself should it fail, or you're willing to fight with the customer for blame, then go for it. But I'd always try to opt for cement based adhesive if you're not coming back tomorrow to grout.

Reply to Can you tile a shower & grout the same day? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks