Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Can you tile a shower & grout the same day? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mikedavey

Hi,

Just got a job to tile a corner shower. My intentions were to tile the shower & grout it the next day. But my client thought my price was a bit too high, so we agreed a lower price.
The reason it was slightly higher was because of going back the next day to grout, but now i want to do it all in one day so i don't have to go back (Plus it's 60 miles round trip)

I'm using ready mixed adhesive & grout for showers.........so can i grout the same day? how long does it need idealy before grouting?

Cheers

Mike

F

Fekin

Doing a job for a paying customer and using ready mixed adhesive and grout combined ?

:dead:

You should always grout the next day, especially if it's a shower, and the ready mixed mixed adhesive and grout isn't very good, for a paying customer.

I guess the customer supplied it ?

For what it's worth, in my view, you might as well do it all in one day, and not offer any guarantees

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

hi mike..if you want to grout the same day then tile with rapid setting cement adhesive....If you tile with a dispersion adhesive it needs air at the joints to dry and this takes time , thats why they recommend 24hrs etc....good luck mate...

M

mikedavey

No i bought it..........This is my first job so i guess i need to learn a lot still..

Whats wrong with what i bought?

T

tiler tom

You don't haggle over price but justify it by telling the customer that to do a guarenteed job you will tile one day and grout the next. By lowering your price you are telling the customer that you are short of work or were trying it on in the first place. I have grouted the same day but you must leave 24 hours before using. Ideally grout should be left a week to fully dry out

P

Perry

i would use ready mixed mixed adhesive and grout as adhesive & grout the next time your passing with (proper grout) as they want a cheap job as long as its before xmas or take Daves advice but remember be rapid with rapid Pete

M

mikedavey

I've checked & also got 'Rapid setting fully water resistance adhesive suitable for int & ext inc swimming pools'

Well thats what is on the bag. Plus i have bags of grout which is water resistant.

Will these be ok? can i do it in one day if i use these?

D

DHTiling

as long as its suitable for the job in hand and the tile.. then go for it mate...dont forget to prime walls first...

M

mikedavey

They are described as RAPID SETTING TILE ADHESIVE & POWERED WALL TILE GROUT - WATER RESISTANT

F

Fekin

Just a basic pointer, a product that does 2 completely different things will do them both to an average degree, and a product that only does one thing will\should do it much better.

If you are working for yourself then seriously, buy trade materials and not jo public B&Q\Wicks brand items, and your jobs and customers will be better off for it in the long run, and just price accordingly, as saving just a few quid can seriously damage your reputation if your materials don't stand upto the jobs you are doing, it might say they will do the job, but the rest of us don't use them for a reason.

Sorry if I sounded like I was getting at you, that was not the case mate.

Good luck :)

S

scottish tiler

aye m8 you can tile it then grout it npz just check that the tiles have set b4 you start grouting, you dont need to buy powderd adhesive either as a tub of sticky wil do fine

G

grumpygrouter

It is my understanding the Wickes materials are made for them by a very reputable company anyway, though I can't remember who.

Only grout the same day if you use powder addy, not ready mixed, and also you are assuming you will get it finished in one day, being your first job, it may take longer than you think!

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Grumpy

Reply to Can you tile a shower & grout the same day? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks