Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Builders!!!! in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

wayne

TF
Reaction score
just been to look at a job where the builder had bought some sandstone 3 inch thick,8 inch tall and 40 inch long. They were still damp and he asked me to stick them above a ground floor window as a feature. The wall was painted render and it was raining as well. He said just knock some rapid set up stick them on and I will get the joiner to prop them up for a bit I could hardly hold them above my head and when I refused to fit them he asked me to leave some rapid set and he will sort it. Anyone know if there's a weight limit for adhesive or a shear strength. I told him they needed chopping in and mechanically fixing but he wouldn't listen.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Id chop the render off down to brick, score the back of the stone , sbr it and stick on with either s/c or addy, then render around it when its set

S

SJPurdy

Yes there are weight limits for adhesives and the shear strengths will have been measured but you probably need to ask the manufacturer what they are. There are also maximum tile sizes for each type of tile/fixing technique which only some manufacturers manage to put in their data sheets.

This "builder" needs to get a more experienced builder (or architect) in to tell him how to do it properly/safely rather than a tiler to blame if it all falls on someone's head!

My guess is it requires supporting from underneath (RSJ?) and mechanical fixings in addition to sand/cem or adhesive fixing but it is not the type of work I would have wanted (too heavy for me I suspect) even with a written spec how to do it.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If its stuck on right, rendered around it won't need screwing on .
It may just be me but ive seen tiles , stone and the like 'stuck' on high rise flats, offices ect .
Done right it aint going anywhere

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
nope, im relying on the skill of a trsdesman .
Are you 5 or 6 saying all these buildings around the world,with stone cladding and such like are just held together by luck ???
cos they aint held by metal studding or screws, they are held by render and such like .obviohsly the architects and design engineers are wrong, and you 5 or 6 are right:fearscream:

S

SJPurdy

Where tiles are fitted externally to high rise walls they can be stuck on with solid bed of adhesive to a good quality render coating that is itself usually coated over a mechanically fixed mesh. Again this is something that I have no direct experience of other than the general adhesive manufact's blurb (and it may be out of date with regard to current specs).

The original post is not about tiles though it is 75mm thick stone (200mm high x 1m long) and I still do not think it is something that is appropriate to stick onto a render surface (even if paint removed) without some permanent support - i'm guessing it must weigh about 45kg. Therefore I'd still not risk putting it up without an expert opinion/specification so I think Wayne was wise not to do it.

O

Old Mod

If its stuck on right, rendered around it won't need screwing on .
It may just be me but ive seen tiles , stone and the like 'stuck' on high rise flats, offices ect .
Done right it aint going anywhere
Yes if a whole facade is done! Cos it's gonna have support from the bottom up!
But ur talking about having 2 thirds of it hanging out the wall, and that's if its chopped into the render first!

Reply to Builders!!!! in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks