Search the forum,

Discuss Builders!!!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

wayne

TF
Reaction score
just been to look at a job where the builder had bought some sandstone 3 inch thick,8 inch tall and 40 inch long. They were still damp and he asked me to stick them above a ground floor window as a feature. The wall was painted render and it was raining as well. He said just knock some rapid set up stick them on and I will get the joiner to prop them up for a bit I could hardly hold them above my head and when I refused to fit them he asked me to leave some rapid set and he will sort it. Anyone know if there's a weight limit for adhesive or a shear strength. I told him they needed chopping in and mechanically fixing but he wouldn't listen.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Id chop the render off down to brick, score the back of the stone , sbr it and stick on with either s/c or addy, then render around it when its set

S

SJPurdy

Yes there are weight limits for adhesives and the shear strengths will have been measured but you probably need to ask the manufacturer what they are. There are also maximum tile sizes for each type of tile/fixing technique which only some manufacturers manage to put in their data sheets.

This "builder" needs to get a more experienced builder (or architect) in to tell him how to do it properly/safely rather than a tiler to blame if it all falls on someone's head!

My guess is it requires supporting from underneath (RSJ?) and mechanical fixings in addition to sand/cem or adhesive fixing but it is not the type of work I would have wanted (too heavy for me I suspect) even with a written spec how to do it.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If its stuck on right, rendered around it won't need screwing on .
It may just be me but ive seen tiles , stone and the like 'stuck' on high rise flats, offices ect .
Done right it aint going anywhere

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
nope, im relying on the skill of a trsdesman .
Are you 5 or 6 saying all these buildings around the world,with stone cladding and such like are just held together by luck ???
cos they aint held by metal studding or screws, they are held by render and such like .obviohsly the architects and design engineers are wrong, and you 5 or 6 are right:fearscream:

Reply to Builders!!!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen