Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss britains school leavers in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
right maybe im an older monaing git :lol: but i have been looking to take someone on for while now and have tried a number of lads ages from 17 up to about 24.....not being funny but what a bloody disgrace these young lads are

is this schools standard nowadays of how they leave for the workplace....workshy,no manners,zero common sense and sorry but thick as a plank as well, i dont think this is a one off its no surprise the eastern europeans have dived in and taken so much work when our lads are like this

im sure not every young person is like this but sorry i think our next generation is lazy

i had an 18 year old lad who thought a square was a rectangle!!! and another one who couldnt work out how to lift up a box of tiles because they were heavy and lying flat on the floor!!!!!!!:yikes:

any opinions lol

S

Stef

Jamie, I've got my mates boy out with me,
He's a good worker & wants to learn (at times) but f me I was never that wet behind the ears at that age, he's 20.
I honestly don't know if he's got the brains to make it as a tiler.
Standing at the rear of a pub he had a bucket of dirty water, "eh where will I put this"?
We were beside a drain, a large piece of grass land & a 100yrd walk to the sea!!
My response?
Too many expletives to say on the forum.

At 20 I was quite skilled & could do quite a bit as I was good with my hands.

As you say I've noticed a lot of the attitude of the Yoof of today..

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
stef you have summed it up for me there, i was the same they seem like little kids in there mid 20s , put the ladder on the roof rack......wheres the roof rack aboot? lol

the guy iv got just now which is going to end soon one minute wants to learn but majority of time you have to tell him everything....yes thats right mate you cant use the pencil till its been sharpened!!!!

T

Time's Ran Out

Nah! They've always been like that.
I had youth opportunity scheme kids 30 years ago and they were the same.
As you get older you realise it IS an age thing and you need more patience, you have to tell them literally everything from making sure they don't put dirty cement filled buckets down a drain to the health and safety issues of how to pick up a box of tiles!
If you've not had young trainees before it takes a while to find a good one and in the interim it's not them - it's you that needs the extra skill of being able to wipe their noses for them.

S

Stef

I know Jamie, they just seem dead immature with no common sense.
I feel at times I'm being too sore on him but then at times he does things & I'm like!!!
I've got him cutting tiles & show him every other day the right way to do it,
half an hour later he's doing it his own way & I ask him, "what you doing" & his reply, "but that's the way you do it"!!
& I tell him again, I've been doing this for years, " I can cut a tile upside down/ back to front" do it the way I showed you & make sure you measure twice cut once.
Hands me the tile, cut to the wrong size.
It gets stressful at times..

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
good workers are hard to find,most decent ones are picked up quickly i would think its a pain in the rear sifting through them thats for sure...

there is a difference though,they have got far more at there disposal these days i mean guys in mid 20s they should have enough life experience to be better than what i have witnessed in the workplace

T

Time's Ran Out

so i am a moaning git!! lol

As I said its an age thing - so that would be ' a moaning old git ' :lol:

But the main thing is you are giving them the chance.
Should be more like you and the kids would have something to look forward to.

P

Pebbs

We have been down the apprentice route so many times now, we gave up for a while. However we do have one now, and we are five months in. But he is not 'young' he's 26, so what is learnt from this? It means that for a lad of that age to start on an apprentices wages, he wants to learn the trade, and he will put in the hours and the effort. So far so good, no complaints. My advice would be to lift the age barrier thing, its never to late to learn.

Pebbs

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
we used to take on loads of lads when we were doing the sites, and out of ten you might find one good one, infact one lad I trained, now lives in Germany and owns his own tiling business, we catch up from time to time, and it's good to see how he's turn out.....funny thing is out of all the lads we took on he was the one I gave the least chance of making it ....he wasn't very bright but he was a grafter, give a 100m2 floor to grout and he just got on with it, where as most of them would be fed up after 5m2..lol

S

Sean SML Tiling

I agree with you all im only 26 but I got common sense (a brain). Alot of people a few years younger than me are just lazy with no common sense and expext to earn money for not doing anything.

afright

TF
Reaction score
Ive had my two grandsons work for me they lasted a day,told there mums to much hard work. Did a big floor and the carpenter said hes got a lad to help me told me he was an ex druggie I thought this is going to be a nightmare but he worked like a trojan so will be using him again hes looks eager to learn,just a shame it was not my own off springs.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You can say what you like, but I think a lot of it is down to the parenting. My plumbers apprentice has had his ar$e wiped by his parents all his life.

21 yrs old, Vauxhall Corsa bought for 18th, Golf GTi for 21st, insurance paid for, Holidays paid for, gym membership paid for, never eats at home, always goes out with parents every night to eat, I could go on.

How can anyone carry on their lives like this, everything on a plate. Just wait until he leaves home (no doubt he'll be going home with his washing).

A lot of the youth just have no common sense and that is something you cannot instil into someone. You've either got it or you haven't. Intelligence, yes, common sense, no!!

I can remember years ago when I first started work, one of the lads nicknames was "bungalow", cos he had nothing upstairs :lol:

Reply to britains school leavers in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks