Search the forum,

Discuss britains school leavers in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Im in Steve187 camp here, Schools leavers need to do 6 months (MIN) of national service, that will sort this country out for the next generation (i reckon weve lost at least one generation)

I left school with good grades, but wet straight into the Army, taught me everything i needed to do the job i do now.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
some good advice there peeps cheers, after todays ordeal of lies from him hes been binned so on the lookout again

pebbs i think your right the 1 guy i had who was half decent was slightly older so may go that route again to try out, for someone like myself self employed i cant afford to hand over wages every week to someone who just isnt playing the game theres no room for baggage as the whole point of it is also for me to benefit as well

T

Time's Ran Out

Unless you have a squad of tilers being looked after by this apprentice, it will be a while before he covers his wage and only a short while before he leaves before you start to benefit!

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
My apprentice(say apprentice he's just out of his time) at the moment is a breath of fresh air, he's fast, accurate ,clean and hasn't had a day off in the 2 years I have worked with him, he's that good at his job he's been given 5 pay rises in 2 years, probably been the best lad I have helped train and I have had quite a few.

A

AMtek

I've tried lads between 19 and 25 and they were all useless, they don't like the cold, they turn up late or still full of drink from the night before, their idea of cleaning is a joke, they are unable to put something back where they got it from, if they aren't told to do something they just stand there doing nothing, they address the customer as pal, bud, mate, lass, pet etc. every second word is a swear word, they think 10am is lunchtime and expect £15 an hour after 2 months training.

When I was still at school I used to work Saturday and Sunday bagging up 25kg bags of compost then stacking them on pallets from 7.30am to 5pm and being paid buttons. Kids these days all think that the world owes them something

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
the thing is i was benefiting even having them being able to setup all the gear and break it down again is a huge help including chainging watere etc etc etc i had the 1st lad doing all cuts on grinders/rubis and he was becoming good just started not showing up on ovvertime shifts at weekends, couldnt agree more amtek im old school in the way i work and sorry but they just do not have it nowadays

O

On one

£15 an hour.....My first job after leaving school was a YOPS scheme(showing my age).......£15 a week!!!!

A

AMtek

Mine was £5.00 a week....

I had a lad labouring with the plasterers and he went on a 5 day course at NETT and when he got back I asked the lads to let him do a bit of laying on etc. so he could start learning, 3 weeks later he came to me and said that he was as good as the other lads and wanted £100 a day. I told him as soon as he could do 1 wall and polish it up to the same standard as the other 2 lads could do 2 walls each I would give him £80 a day, this was over a year ago and the other lads are still pulling him up on sub standard work and bailing him out when he's in the poo. he's 25 by the way and an ex royal marine. A really good grafter and never takes time off ill, turns up ready to work etc.

Reply to britains school leavers in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen