Search the forum,

Discuss britains school leavers in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
right maybe im an older monaing git :lol: but i have been looking to take someone on for while now and have tried a number of lads ages from 17 up to about 24.....not being funny but what a bloody disgrace these young lads are

is this schools standard nowadays of how they leave for the workplace....workshy,no manners,zero common sense and sorry but thick as a plank as well, i dont think this is a one off its no surprise the eastern europeans have dived in and taken so much work when our lads are like this

im sure not every young person is like this but sorry i think our next generation is lazy

i had an 18 year old lad who thought a square was a rectangle!!! and another one who couldnt work out how to lift up a box of tiles because they were heavy and lying flat on the floor!!!!!!!:yikes:

any opinions lol

S

Stef

Jamie, I've got my mates boy out with me,
He's a good worker & wants to learn (at times) but f me I was never that wet behind the ears at that age, he's 20.
I honestly don't know if he's got the brains to make it as a tiler.
Standing at the rear of a pub he had a bucket of dirty water, "eh where will I put this"?
We were beside a drain, a large piece of grass land & a 100yrd walk to the sea!!
My response?
Too many expletives to say on the forum.

At 20 I was quite skilled & could do quite a bit as I was good with my hands.

As you say I've noticed a lot of the attitude of the Yoof of today..

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
stef you have summed it up for me there, i was the same they seem like little kids in there mid 20s , put the ladder on the roof rack......wheres the roof rack aboot? lol

the guy iv got just now which is going to end soon one minute wants to learn but majority of time you have to tell him everything....yes thats right mate you cant use the pencil till its been sharpened!!!!

T

Time's Ran Out

Nah! They've always been like that.
I had youth opportunity scheme kids 30 years ago and they were the same.
As you get older you realise it IS an age thing and you need more patience, you have to tell them literally everything from making sure they don't put dirty cement filled buckets down a drain to the health and safety issues of how to pick up a box of tiles!
If you've not had young trainees before it takes a while to find a good one and in the interim it's not them - it's you that needs the extra skill of being able to wipe their noses for them.

S

Stef

I know Jamie, they just seem dead immature with no common sense.
I feel at times I'm being too sore on him but then at times he does things & I'm like!!!
I've got him cutting tiles & show him every other day the right way to do it,
half an hour later he's doing it his own way & I ask him, "what you doing" & his reply, "but that's the way you do it"!!
& I tell him again, I've been doing this for years, " I can cut a tile upside down/ back to front" do it the way I showed you & make sure you measure twice cut once.
Hands me the tile, cut to the wrong size.
It gets stressful at times..

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
good workers are hard to find,most decent ones are picked up quickly i would think its a pain in the rear sifting through them thats for sure...

there is a difference though,they have got far more at there disposal these days i mean guys in mid 20s they should have enough life experience to be better than what i have witnessed in the workplace

T

Time's Ran Out

so i am a moaning git!! lol

As I said its an age thing - so that would be ' a moaning old git ' :lol:

But the main thing is you are giving them the chance.
Should be more like you and the kids would have something to look forward to.

Reply to britains school leavers in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen